1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NBD: Yamaha BB714BS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Dec 14, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

New Bass Day!

I got a new black Yamaha BB714BS bass guitar. :hyper:

It came with a gig bag, a 10 ft. 1/4" cord, two allen wrenches, instructions, and a DVD. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/bb/bb714bs/?mode=model

It's discontinued, maybe that's why I got a good price. I like that it has passive pickups, no need to deal with batteries. It's a bit heavier than my previous RBX170. The neck feel is a bit different too; I don't know how to described it.
    The woofer pickup is really nice looking. It doesn't allow for a lot of space to pop.
    Nice build quality.
  2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Lets see yours. No pics no bass. No price either?
  3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

The bass looks sweet. We will of course expect photos and a full review!
  4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I got it for $389 + $25 shipping. I'm not really a Billy Sheehan or Mr. Big mega-fan, but to get a BB at that price was worth it. Its going for $699 new at MF.

I have pictures. I just need to upload them to a photo server.
  5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

box
    [​IMG]

gig bag
    [​IMG]

inside gig bag
    [​IMG]

under wraps
    [​IMG]

back
    [​IMG]

front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bridge
    [​IMG]
  6. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

headstock
    [​IMG]

nut
    [​IMG]

pickups
    [​IMG]

neck joint
    [​IMG]

DVD and bag of instructions, allen keys, and patch cord.
    [​IMG]
  7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Very sharp looking and it sounds like you got a fantastic deal.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Very nice! I've had GAS for one of these off and on. I just haven't been able to try one out and haven't been sure how that neck pickup would sound. I love the P/J pups of my BB415, but how does the neck humbucker sound?
  9. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

Very nice!
    I was considering getting one of these a while back and wiring it stereo as a back up for my Attitude.
    How does the neck pick up sound?
  10. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Very Nice!!! I am a sucker for the Yammy BBs. I still have an eye out for a used or NOS 414/424x, or whatever model number they are now. In fact, I am giving the OP (and his bass) the Presidential Seal of Approval:

[​IMG]
  11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Interesting you should ask that. I don't know. I had to pack it away after checking there were no shipping damages... for Christmas purposes. But, I will get back to that question later.
  12. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Well, I had to wait until yesterday to play the bass. I was on vacation and I left the bass guitar gift at home.
    I played it through a Digitech BP90. Without effects, it sounds great. The middle split pickup is average. Not bad, not great. Sounds good when dialed in with the neck pickup.
    The neck humbucker pickup is nice. No hum, since it's a humbucker. When the tone knob is down, it is in regular mode and when turned up to 10, it's a bit too agressive for playing non-rock music. But, this is good if you don't want to fight your bass to get a lot of growl without a pick and for solo work. When I pull up on the tone knob, it cuts the highs for the neck pickup only. Dialed down to 0, it's kind of muddy. Dialed up, it's really nice. Beefy tone comes easy, like a Peavey T40. I turn off the neck pickup for popping and slapping and only use the split pickup.
    It's got a nice balance. I wear it high (above the spleen, ha ha). The headstock doesn't want to dip or rise.

Problems: it doesn't fit my old hardshell case I bought for my old RBX170; the BB is too wide. Fortunately, it came with a gig bag.
    For popping, I find that I have to either move my hand up to pull on the strings between the fretboard and the neck pickup or move my hand down to pull on the string between the split pickup and the neck pickup.
    I like the brass bridge. It's my first one that isn't the vintage-style bent piece of steel, and it's another detail that separates this model from the other BBs.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase.
  13. PRECISIONFUNK

PRECISIONFUNK

so this bass is not good for slapping?
  14. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    NICE! Love those Yammy BB's!!