NBD: Zon Sonus Custom Fretless 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassOrdinaire, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

What could this be?

[​IMG]

Better open it up!

[​IMG]

And for the great unveiling...

[​IMG]

Some more glamour shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bass was set up great out of the box. I bought a set of Sunbeams to slap on her, but it sounds great with whatever strings the previous owner had. I set the internal mid trim to a medium-high setting, but I may do more tinkering. Pleasantly light weight (I'm thinking no more than 9.5 lbs).

The finish (Caribbean Blue?) really makes the natural grain of the quilted maple top and ash back pop out.

The graphite neck feels awesome! Super thin and sleek-feeling, with no dead spots anywhere. This bass shipped from Michigan to Texas and the neck didn't shift at all. I'm becoming more and more convinced that graphite is the way to go for necks. I don't think that there is a truss rod, but I don't feel like removing the neck to find out since it plays so well anyway.

This is my first fretless with fret-markers, so I haven't quite gotten used to the idea that the side-dots don't line up with the pitches like I've grown accustomed to. They are really useful in the upper register though. The phenowood board is in great shape for this being what I assume to be an older instrument.

The tone is night and day compared the the MK-1 loaded Cort fretless that I've been playing for the past couple of years. Each note has an extremely present, clear attack the moment that my right hand fingers move to pluck. The entire frequency range of the onboard EQ is eminently usable, but I feel like I can really squeeze any tone that I want out of it with my fingers alone.

The control cavity is extremely well-sealed. No hum on this bass even with the bridge pup solo'd and the treble boosted.

My only complaint is that the rear strap button is in the "Spector position", making it difficult to find a strap that will adjust to be short enough for me. I'll just have to order another Legacy strap with new measurements.

All in all, I am really happy with this instrument. Whether or not I'm just in new-toy mode remains to be seen, but I can honestly say I've never been this happy with a bass straight out of the box before. :hyper:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away! I'm uploading a short unboxing/demo video to Youtube as I type. Just camera audio, but hopefully it won't sound too bad.

EDIT: E-mailed the serial number to Zon and they informed that this is actually a Sonus Custom. Guess Guitar Center mislabeled it and gave me a better deal than they should have. ;)
  2. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Congratulations. That is a beauty! I love the finish over quilted maple.
  3. johnson79

johnson79

That thing is killer. I always loved the Sonus, but that finish is incredible. Nice!
  4. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of CB BASSES
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

Thanks guys. I made an unboxing/quick demo video for any interested parties. :)

I really do have to find a freakishly small strap though. Something like 34 inches.