NBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timmah, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Timmah

Timmah

Well, N(to me) BD. I snagged a left handed active five-stringed jazz bass (that's enough adjectives for now) off of the GC used website for a great price, and it arrived today. It's a Schecter Diamond Series, according to the headstock, but I've never seen any others, let alone lefties.

[​IMG]

First impressions: It's a lot of bass for the money. Yeah, the pickup routs are bigger than the pickups, the pick guard is a botched attempt at a Marcus Miller bass, and there are a few stripped screws here and there. It plays really nicely though.

[​IMG]

That being said, it's got Bartolini JB pickups in it (though I've no idea what model) and a preamp to boot. This is my first active bass and my first fiver, so IMO it's as good as any to test the waters!

Also, if anyone can hazard a guess as to the make/model of the preamp, that would be great.

Now: group shot!
    [​IMG]
  2. LightGroove

LightGroove

Welcome to 5 string land. Def been modded so check your truss as well as solder points..im guessing they cut corners in places.We will need a pic of the preamp to help with what it is.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

It's been Millerized! Cool bass!
  4. Timmah

Timmah

Here's pictures of the preamp: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell, it's a volume for each pickup, treble, bass, and a concentric (function unknown). Any guesses?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

That's an EMG BQS 3-band eq. The stack is a mids cut/boost (top) and frequency sweep (bottom). A very nice preamp and cool bass!

...dat solder job on the bridge volume :D

Oh and you see that small black box with the 2 tiny white dip switches...you can select the frequency of your treble as well with that. Read up here
  7. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I think I was lusting over that bass the other day, congratulations!
  8. Timmah

Timmah

Thanks for the info, SRV (Stevie was the man, btw! :bassist: ). And CastingThunder- too slow! ;)
  9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Timmah, my wallet thanks you.
  10. Timmah

Timmah

You're quite welcome.

On another note- I seem to be getting some distortion from the preamp. Anyone know why? I already changed the battery.
  11. Timmah

Timmah

Well, now I know why the bass was so cheap- the preamp was most definitely not installed right. The bass and treble pots aren't even from EMG, there's no battery buss etc. All of the connections are solders, too, none of that fancy solderless connector stuff that EMG does now.

Add to that the fact that the mid pot is broken (the lower portion just spins without traction) and my "very nice preamp" is utterly useless. :mad: I'm a little frustrated by this.

Is there a way to get it up and running without shelling out for a whole new system?
  12. eots

eots

The quickest way to sound is wire one pup right to the jack. If you want a bit more usefulness, can the preamp and wire as a standard jazz. Get used to it being a fiver and other changes can be made as you feel a need for tonal changes.
  13. Timmah

Timmah

That's probably my plan of attack. The weird thing is that I'm getting sound now- as if the preamp is bypassed- but there's a weird occasional mild distortion and the eq doesn't work.
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

Even with the issues, that is one cool bass.

Be patient with it and fix it a little at a time. You'll find pups that fit better as well as a different preamp and when you're done, it will be a fantastic bass.

I'm a big fan of Audere preamps. They're kind of spendy, but worth every cent.
  15. srvlives4evr

srvlives4evr Supporting Member

Actually the EMG preamps were solder type before they came out with the whole 'quik connect' thing, so that's actually fine. HOWEVER, I have always found them the be a little lackluster but they have a nice grittyness to them. But ya for that Marcus Miller thing, I've hear Sadowsky is prime for that.
  16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

17. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Looks like you scored - congrats.

BTW - I wouldn't have a 5er that wasn't active - it really helps the B string with depth.
  18. JustForSport

JustForSport

1- Looks like the vol pots (and p/ups) are grounded to the mid pot, but is that grounded on the other side of the board?
    Try to run a jumper from those to the batt/ jack ground.
    2- Also, the bottom mid knob may just be loose on the shaft- see if the set screw needs a turn...or take both concentric knobs off and see if both inner and outer shafts turn and get results.
  19. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy