NBFD (New Frankenbass Day!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drew617, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Drew617

Drew617

Started and finished this build today: GFS body, Squier CV neck, Fender '62 RI pickups.

Digging it so far. Not entirely happy with the GFS body or my neck fitment. Screwed up the bridge ground hole as well so for now I'm accomplishing that with copper tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Splods

Splods

Looks groovy.
  3. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

nice, any problems with the body at like neck pocket fit or anything along those lines? i've heard some pretty bad things about some of the guitar bodies that gfs were selling
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. Supporting Member

Nice build. You would be a welcome addition to the Fender Frankenstein club.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Drew617

Drew617

Yes! Short story is that it sucks, but I really wanted to put this bass together today and decided that the body wasn't a complete ripoff at $50.

There are flaws all over the thing - dings, dark spots in the paint, none of the curves are as smooth as they should be. The "Fender standard" neck holes were way off, had to plug and red rill them. The neck pocket was supposed to be Asian Fender standard and wasn't even close. I wouldn't be annoyed to find those things in a $50 body, except GFS goes out of their way to explain how nice the body is, how the neck pocket is cut for asian Fender necks, blah blah.

I made it work, but next time I need a body I'll spend another $50. :)

Pics etc. in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/word-gfs-bodies-1070175/
  7. Splods

Splods

I was thinking of Buying a 3TS P body, and then painting over it in a nicer colour. Make the inconsistencies not very noticeable, and would look awesome when it started to get worn.
  8. Splods

Splods

Also, could you show us a pic of the neck pocket with the neck in it?
  9. Drew617

Drew617

Sure. The side gap is as much my fault as the body's - I was annoyed at having to take off about 3/16", so took it off pretty aggressively. The "mickey mouse" routes are also mine - needed them to get the corners in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Drew617

Drew617

Thanks, man! Where do I sign up? :)
  11. Splods

Splods

So it is too tight of a pocket at first. That's an easy fix then.

Cheers for the info, I'll remember that link for a later project.
  12. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Nice build! I have a few Frankenfenders with glaring pocket misfits and even thicker than normal shims. But they are monster players and no one really notices the imperfections but me. Rock that bass!

Attached Files:

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. Supporting Member

We're in the basses section. Post your photo, check out some of the other builds, and get a number.
  14. Drew617

Drew617

Thanks! Dig that LPB Tele bass. I had a LPB SX Jazz (with matching headstock!) a decade ago and still regret selling it.

I see you're in AZ, too. I spent four years in Tucson and loved it. Would still be there if my family wasn't in the opposite corner of the US… the 2,500 mi drive was a killer.