1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NCAA Football 2013 - Week 14

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Here we go, it's rivalry week for many schools.

Please, please, please, FSU keep it under 70 against Florida.

The Apple Cup, UW/WSU, will be a good one this year. For the first time in many years, both teams have a winning record going into this game.

-Mike
  2. Eublet

Eublet

I'm debating on calling something from my gut, which is that Alabama will bury Auburn by 3 touchdowns. My head tells me it'll be a tighter game however. It's nice to have both schools in the hunt at the same time for a change.
  3. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

WAR EAGLE.

That is all for me, enjoy rivalry week everyone!
  4. MJ5150

Hey buddy. Thanks for posting in our thread. Good to see you around.

It must be crazy in Alabama this week with both teams so highly rated.

-Mike
  5. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

Oh yeah, my ex-nephew-in-law is the SEC defensive player of the week, Chase Garnham, Vandy LB. Funny, I remember when his mother woudn't let him run on concrete because she was worried he would fall and skin his knee. She, along with all the siblings in that family were... different. Hence the reason they are now "ex". Congrats to Chase though.
  6. viper4000

viper4000

Go Buckeyes!
  7. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

Thanks Mike. The hype here in LA (Lower Alabama) is turned up a bit from last year! There have been so many silly t-shirts and cartoons that there must be an ink shortage by now.

If the Auburn plays their best and Bama has a night like they had against Mississippi State, it will be a close game. If Alabama plays their best and Auburn plays like they played in the 4th quarter against Georgia, it won't be pretty for the Plainsmen.

If Bama wins, they will have done this season what most expected them to do, and will deserve all the accolades they will receive. Auburn's season has surpassed just about everyone's expectations. That will make this a satisfying season regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. Not playing down what an Iron Bowl win or loss means to either team and their fans by any means.

Having said that, there are fans on both sides that consider a single loss season, with the single loss coming to the guys across the state, as a failure of a season. I'm not one of them.
  8. Eublet

Eublet

Hey, Toasty. I agree with you. People are saying that an Auburn win here will totally undermine Saban's career. It would be heartbreaking for sure, but I think that's far fetched. Also, a lot of Auburn fans are star struck on the Gus Bus right now and seem to think that a loss to Bama means Gus doesn't have what it takes to beat Saban without Cam Newton. I think that's quite a stretch as well.

At the end of the day Saturday, this is just a meeting of two really good teams. One I think is on a bit of a decline (Bama) while the other is on the up-and-up. It's great for the state so I'm just going to enjoy it, win or lose.

To talk more specifics, I'm afraid that Auburn will have a few trick plays that could pull our secondary off coverage, allowing for some quick explosive scores. That could be the difference in the game if we also manage to cough up the ball once or twice as we've done this season at the wrong times. I think it's going to take that kind of day for Auburn to win it. If both teams play well but don't make major mistakes, I think Bama wins pretty handily. Since Bama has managed to show up flat and sleepwalk for 30 minutes in several games this year, I'm not extremely confident we can come in and set our pace.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing if Auburn can run the ball against Alabama. I don' think Marshall can win it with his arm. I also feel confident that Bama will move the ball well on Auburn, so they'll score points (35 or so I'd say). So for me, the game comes down to how well Auburn can score. On paper, I say they should be able to move it for a 300-350 yards of total offense. My gut tells me 200-250. My gut has been really stupid before though.

If Yeldon's ankle is too sore to play aggressively, this could be a long day for Bama. AJ has to have another stellar game if so, which I think he can. We just can't fumble the ball.

I can't wait to see Mosley and what he does to the Auburn run game. We'll need him to contain Marshall and that running attack.

Our secondary HAS to watch their cues and not bite on play action, flea flickers, or any other nonsense that Gus is sure to pull. We can't let trickery cost us big yardage.

It's going to be fun. Should only get better in the years to come.
  9. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

WAAAAAR EAGLE!

(Missed ya Eublet, had to stop in. ;) )
  10. MJ5150

Whoa....finally some of the regulars are showing up. I've missed you guys in our weekly threads.

-Mike
  11. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

Oh man I would have loved to be here talking with all of you guys but things are considerably different than in recent years. Just got married not long ago, have one child with another on the way and working 70-80 hours a week plus gigs doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to sit down and chat football. I haven't missed watching a game all season though. :D
  12. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster

I don't agree with calling a flea flicker or a play action pass nonsense. There's a legitimate place for such plays, and it tests the defense. A good, disciplined defense can hang with these tactics. Someone who anticipates or bites on a fake will get burned. Alabama has not have their best games against mobile, multiple threat quarterbacks. If Nick has a good day Auburn is in the game.
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mike, you are SO RIGHT!! The Cougs just out-voted the Huskies in an online contest so the WSU flag is flying over Smith Tower in downtown Seattle...I hope it's an omen. The vote for the school flag was about 2700 (dawgz) to 4000 (Cougs). Unbelievable that the home team, and a much bigger institution, can't muster more online votes in contests than their smaller opponent across the state...yet it happens again and again.

The dawgz and the Cougs both want that extra win - both to defeat their rivalry opponent and because it will improve their bowl standing.

I think we have a genuine shot at this game, but it's going to take an outstanding, consistent effort from all the Cougs.

I'm also up for the Colorado State Game against Air Force this weekend. CSU played 13 games and has won 6, but they need a 7th win to secure a bowl spot with a record above .500. They have been down for a while, and and I'd love to see them get a bowl spot. If CSU wins there's a chance that they will play WSU in the New Mexico Bowl, just down the road from me!
  14. Eublet

Eublet

Hey Stanky! That's good news on the home front! Congrats! I've not been in these threads much either this season.

Toasty, I agree with you mostly, but I think Auburn's only real chance of winning is to be creative on offense and hope to capitalize on a few Bama mistakes. I don't think they can win in a slugfest. Gus will throw the kitchen sink at Alabama I believe.
  15. LAG

LAG

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Wisconsin 48
    Penn St 21
  16. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

VANDY WINS!.......

another thrilling fourth quarter comeback...just like last week, Vandy scored on their final offensive play and the defense held in the last minute...

woo hoo....8 wins and a possibility of 9 wins....for us, that's as close as we'll ever come to a national championship

[​IMG]
  17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness there won't be another Gator football game for 9 months. And Foley's continued support of Muschamp is incomprehensible.:mad:
  18. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Buckeyes!!!
  19. sirsam22

sirsam22

Holy field goal, Batman!

That was an amazing game. Not only was that one of the best Iron Bowls but one of the best football games I've ever seen.
  20. jp58

jp58

Bama and Florida both lost. Pretty good day for a Vols fan. Not a lot to root for lately in Knoxville. I'm just glad Butch has us on the right track. Hopefully there'll be a lot more moments to root for UT next year.

I enjoyed getting to go to the upset against SCar, but that may be the last game I'll be able to make the trip to Knoxville until my year of clinicals is up.