NCAA Football 2014 - Off Season

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

2. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Interesting twists today for sure! Really proud of the recruiting job Bama continues to do. This past weekend both Alabama and Auburn staffs showed up at Evans house for a birthday party for his grandfather. Auburn thought that Evans was sure thing, but it was good to see Kirby never give up. That kid is going to be really good. With this addition this could arguably be the best signing class of any school in history just going by the recruiting numbers. Of course we have to see how they all turn out.

I'm quite surprised to see Urban/OSU only have one five star recruit in the entire class. They signed a bunch of 4's though.

Still don't understand why Florida isn't doing better than they are. Top 10 is great of course, and they're there, but still.

On another note, 7 of the top 10 are SEC teams.
  3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I'm amazed the Gators pulled off a top 10 class, frankly. Yes, there's lots of opportunity for playing time, but Muschamp''s seat is blazing hot.
  4. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

I think you have to be right, Greg. I still wish Charlie Strong would have stayed at Louisville another year, long enough for Muschamp to be canned. Hopefully they'd have gone after Strong next year. I'm afraid Texas is going to be the end of Strong, not because he can't coach, but because they'll drown him in BS. The Texas coach needs to be a politician more than anything else. At Florida I think Strong could be almost unstoppable.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

Good observations about Strong and UT. The company I work for is based out of Austin, so some of my co-workers have been asking me about Strong from his Florida days. Right from the outset when that booster made those comments about Strong, I felt like "this is just the beginning". Charlie handled it well in the media though.

I did all I could to run Brown out of UT this year to pave the way for Coach Boom to go back 'home', but he didn't. Now he is really on the MJ5150 hot seat. :D

-Mike
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I spent a bit too much time at the UW not to be a fan. I'm looking forward to seeing if 2014 is the year the Huskies finally get around to reviving the traditional whupping of Oregon on the field. Never mind the recruiting battles.
  8. GregC

Totally agree. When Strong went to Texas, me and a buddy spent some (more) time cussing about Jeremy Foley not pulling the plug on Muschamp and getting Charlie back on campus. He's such a natural fit. I think there's a little bad blood between the two, though I'm not exactly sure why.
  9. MJ5150

I found this to be interesting. I'll post it in the NFL thread too in case those guys don't come over here. Not sure if other teams have a similar graphic...

[​IMG]

-Mike
  10. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

So your point is that if they had more 5 stars they might not have gotten totally dominated? :D
  11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

12. MJ5150

13. MJ5150

14. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.
  15. MJ5150

As expected, Mike Leach is mad. I'm still sorting out how I feel too. Leaning to thumbs down at the moment.

-Mike
  16. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Same here, leaning towards thumbs down, but also don't like the trend of offensives intentionally trying to win games because of quick-snap confusion.
  17. GregC

I'm not a big fan of the no-huddle, but I think this proposed rule is dumb. If, as they claim, hardly anyone is snapping the ball in the first 10 seconds, why bother with a rule? If it's really in the name of player safety, then let's see some stats that prove more players get injured with the no-huddle in place.

I do enjoy the fans claiming the committee just wants to protect the SEC. Right, because so many no-huddle teams have won the championship, and no SEC teams use that offense.:D
  18. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I think the no-huddle offense is great. It turns football into a more free-flowing game than it was previously. I like it a whole lot. And, one way to counter the idea that people who play constantly will get injured is to go back and see how many people got injured playing both ways decades ago. The answer isn't to slow down the game. It is to make sure the people playing the game are fit and fit in the right way to go as long as they will have to go. Instead of having players who are 300 lbs and can do a 40 yard dash once, you will get players who weight 250 lbs and who can run a 440 a couple times. No-huddle is a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. If football continued to evolve like it did for a while, it might as well be Sumo wrestling with the addition of a quarterback who looks like a thick-set, tall baseball relief pitcher.
  19. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

For me it's not a matter of player safety, though I can see that argument as having some validity. Defenses get extremely gassed in no-huddle. If an offensive player get's half that gassed then the coaches pull him off the field immediately. So on defense, you don't even have the option of pulling the guy off the field even if he is physically unable to run or get down in a 3 point stance. I don't think that's good for the player or the game...no way to spin it otherwise IMHO. That's the first thing on my mind.

The second is that I also don't know that I understand why it's logical that the defense can only substitute when the offense can. It could actually open new offensives strategies by allowing the defense to sub at will.

The third part of this is that no-huddle does help non-powerhouse programs compete with bigger schools. I think that's valuable and good for the game. So there are some positives about it.

I just haven't reconciled yet how to balance the first two things with the third. I do know that I don't buy into the no-huddle as making the game more exciting.
  20. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

The proposed 10-second snap rule was being discussed on another site, and the question was brought up: "How can a team trailing by one score who has to go the length of the field with less than two minutes left and no timeouts expect to score with that rule?" Good question.
  21. MJ5150

The proposed new rule would not be enforced the final two minutes of each half. The NCAA is concerned for player safety most of the game, just not all of it.

-Mike