1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

NCBD. New Cheap Bass Day.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaSam, Oct 28, 2013.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I picked up this Squier P Bass Special 5 for $80. It plays really well! I'm impressed with the neck. Even with old strings and the tons of dirt it had on it it played so easy. I set it up, polished the frets and everything else and it's a keeper. I'm on the hunt now for new pickups, the weak link.

The color is actually a metallic black and looks quite nice.

[​IMG]
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Congrats. I love a cheap bass day.
    Let the modding begin!
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Congrats nice five banger
  4. FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

Awesome. Planning on any mods?
  5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I am pretty forgiving of cheap instruments but holy balls these are without a doubt the WORST pickups I've ever heard. Thankfully the neck is superb, the bridge is more than serviceable, the body is nice. I think I'm gonna carve it up and drop a proper p bass pickup and find a decent jazz for the bridge area. New pots too, they are quite noisy. That said I got the action super low with nary a buzz. Quite impressive for a cheap Squier.
  6. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Is it supposed to have Jazz pickups with that Precision body?
  7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

$16 per string is not bad at all.
  8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

Yes this is a Squier "Precision" Special 5. It came stick with 2 horrendous J pickups.
  9. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

I'm no Squier expert, but I think the Squier Standard Precision 5 had those pickups. There's a few out on eBay like it now.
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84

The big challenge with these pickups is that they're sized for a 4 string (hence the black covers). I can't imagine that having the strings so far out from the pole pieces on the ends is going to give good resonance.
  11. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

That's screaming for 2 Bill Lawrence J 45s!
  12. rolandm

rolandm Supporting Member

Are you sure it's not inviting the wrath of the bass gods to put $128 or so worth of pickups in an $80 bass?
  13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

if I were you, id find some good soapbars, fit them in, and have some kinda modern-vintage deal goin on. sounds pretty cool to me. does gfs make soapbars???
  14. KingRazor

KingRazor

I hope not, I did the same thing! :D