1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NCD: Ampeg Flatback...questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Jan 4, 2014.

1. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I bought a flatback a few years back from the bass player of Drivin' n' Cryin' and sold it later on. Just found one locally. Looks to be all original...missing the dolly and the pin input on the back has been replaced at some point in its life. The cabinet is solid, the tolex is...not. No prob. Call me crazy...because I was thinking of taking the tolex completely off, sanding the cabinet down and staining it. I have seen some like that and I think they look great. I don't gig anymore so this is a practice cabinet...yikes!

So I played it and it sounds awesome, just as my other one did. However, it is missing a dust cap on one of the speakers. Does anyone have a link to one that will fit these?

Year decoded by Bill Hughes and johnk_10 as a 1972, made in Tennessee. Thanks guys!!

Disclaimer: the wet spots on the grill cloth is water that I sprayed trying to see if it would clean up (yes I took it off the cab first!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bill Hughes

Bill Hughes

That is a CTS driver made in 1972, 19th week. The 5810144 number is Magnavox, made in Jefferson city Tennessee. The dust cap is "generic" It is a zerete type that breathes.

Bill

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    hmm. the date code on that alnico magnet says it was made the 19th week of 1972.

4. Rosebud

Rosebud Supporting Member

you guys are too funny about the week(s) code

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Awesome, thanks for that info guys.

Does anyone have the specs/dimensions on an original dolly? I want to make one so that I don't have to keep sliding it around...or straining myself.

7. pfox14

pfox14

It sure has seen its fair share of use, but congrats on finding it.

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I've also seen them done in Duratex where they look very sharp and rather tolex-like. Considering doing that to my 73 Flatback, actually, since I don't trust myself to do a good job re-tolexing. Dust caps should be super easy to find, though.

10. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I thought about duratex too. I get my SVT-100 amp back next week from getting retubed and biased and I will see if the width is the same of the cab and the amp. If it is then I will refinish them the same way....either sand down and stain or maybe duratex. Either way I am going to take the speakers out and clean up the cab and reform the interior...although the foam looks to be in good shape still, but it needs to be attached to the cab walls.

I don't trust myself to do a great tolex job either.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    An SVT-100, eh? Pretty nifty and rare!

12. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I haven't even gotten to play it yet! I traded a very low end bass I got in another trade. The owner said it kept blowing fuses...so I took a gamble on it being a tube issue and I am glad I did bc the tech called me today and said it needed 2 new power tubes and a resistor...so I am waiting for the tubes to come in and I will have it back in a week or so. It is in great cosmetic condition....looks almost new honestly.

Not a lot of info out there on them except what I found in previous TB threads. I just hope it sounds good and warm.

Jimmy, I also have an SVP-CL....do you think a Crown Drivecore XLS1000 amp would be ok to power the 810? I read that the speakers shouldnt be overpowered....I will be ok with the SVT-100, but wasn't sure about separate amps. I JUST traded my SVP-1600 2 weeks ago too...doh!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sure, it should be fine. You don't have to turn it up to the point it blows the speakers ;) But just be very careful and know when to back off.

14. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Yeah, I used to have an XLS1500 and loved that they weigh next to nothing but figured the xls1000 would be better for lower wattage speakers.
    Thanks!

15. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

How do I get the handles off? Also, the corners? Not sure how to get those off without bending them.

16. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Project stalled bc I need one of the funky Ampeg screwdrivers to get the speakers out. Is that only available as a hand screwdriver or is there a bit for a drill?

17. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    No, you can get them as driver bits too. I got mine from McMaster-Carr. Just do a search for clutch head bits.

18. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Thanks. Do you know the size of the bit? Looks like there are 5 different sizes.

19. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    The 1/8" seems to work on every size screw I have here, even the large ones that it fits loosely on. I have a hunch that the 5/32" might even work a little better but I don't have one here to confirm that.

20. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Thanks. I found some on Amazon.

I have all of the tolex off and started sanding the entire cab. I will post some pics tomorrow of the progress.

I need to get the metal corners off...and once I take the speakers out I will figure out how to take the handles off...although I did get the outer part of the handle brackets off, but no screw head so I am thinking the handle is held on the inside with a nut.

21. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Nice cab. I personally hate the stained wood thing though.