1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NCD: Genz Benz Neox212t

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by liam_g, Nov 22, 2012.

1. liam_g

liam_g

I've been looking for a single cab to use on larger gigs, as an alternative to my Carvin 112AG stack. I'm pleased with the Carvins, but just wanted something different, and one cab that I could roll in, as opposed to carrying the two 112AGs.

So I found a great deal on a Genz Benz Neox212t ... $380. It's got some rough patches ... cracked corners on the top, and one corner missing from the top, and 3 silver replacement screws on the grill, but is in perfect playing condition. I just got it the other day, and today was the first chance I had to fire it up.

Hooked up my Carvin BX500, plugged in my fretless P and went at it. Great tone! It's deeper and richer than the Carvins, yet maintains great clarity. I couldn't really crank it out of respect for the housemates and some out of town housemate family that's in for the holidays, but I got it fairly loud. Sounds great. I owned one of these once before, so I knew somewhat what to expect. I'm very pleased. :)

[​IMG]
    Untitled by wwgtsc, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Quackhead

Quackhead

It's really surprising how roughly some people treat their cabinets. I never trust anyone with their subjective assessment of the condition of the cabinet. That being said, it sounds like you got a good deal on that cabinet. I've always wanted to try one out or a pair of the 12s.

3. liam_g

liam_g

Yeah, I took a risk, as the cab has obviously had a rough life. I got it on eBay though, so I was covered by their buyer protection. The cabinet seems to be fine other than the things noted, which the seller disclosed in advance. No rattles or buzzes when playing, etc. I figure I can replace the corners and paint the screw heads black and call it good.

Liam

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I owned one before, and it definitely can take some power. My only complaint was the schlepp factor. The top handles are misplaced, imho, and the skinny wheels are no good on rough surfaces. You have to bend over to roll it , which I did'nt enjoy, and whatever you place on top of it winds up hitting you in the gut when moving. I much prefer 4 casters on the bottom of any multi-driver cab, but, that's just me. The latest model has Faital drivers in it, and supposedly 5 lbs lighter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Quackhead

Quackhead

I picked up a couple of Bergantino HT210s on Talkbass earlier this year and both were used pretty hard, but fortunately those cabinets are built like tanks. Some cracks on the corners and one had a speaker gasket that was separating and lots of grime and dust under the grills. I superglued the gasket back in place, pulled off the grills and dusted and vacuumed them out and they were fine.

7. liam_g

liam_g

Yeah, I agree on the top handles. I wish they had side handles. I don't put anything on top when I roll it though, so that doesn't bother me. I carry my bx500 in a shoulder strap carrying case.

The new models look nice, and they managed to lower the price as well. If I was buying new I would have definitely considered it.

Liam

8. Quackhead

Quackhead

I wish they made a Focus model in 212. I've heard nothing but great things about that model line.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

It's a beast of a cab. I've had one for a few years. The tweeter attenuator is one that actually works. Going from full off to full on and all in b/w, you can hear the subtlety.

I usually run the tweeter b/w 3 and 4. I agree on the schlep factor not being that good. A wheeled dolly gets it around better and the wheels on it are good for easy moving it around a stage.

I don't get to use it often b/c it's way more cab (volume and size) than I can use in some of the small venues that I play.

I am thinking of taking it out Saturday night for a gig (but the load in is up a very narrow staircase).

10. liam_g

liam_g

Yeah, a Focus 212 would be sweet. :)

Liam

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Corners are available from any gb of fender service center, I cxn send you some proper screws if you pm me your mailing address. I can also get you the part numbers for the corners.

12. liam_g

liam_g

Thanks Andy! As always, superb customer service from the Genz guys. I'll pm you later.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks again,
    Liam

13. liam_g

liam_g

Well, this cab sounds great on the gig, but I've decided that I don't actually need this large of a cabinet, so it's up for sale. Link to the classified ad in my sig ...

Cheers,
    Liam