NCD: Gruv Gear V-Cart Solo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Jan 26, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

I never thought I'd be geeking out over a cart but here I am. :atoz:

I've had a Magnacart for years and and have moved giant piles of crap with it. It's super lightweight and compact and is just the thing for easy schleps. Lately it seems, my loads have gotten heavier and my load ins have gotten further. The shortcomings of the Magnacart become readily apparent. Heavier duty multi-carts typically have two modes: upright dolly and 4 wheel cart. Upright dolly mode is highly maneuverable but you have to support the weight of the load. 4 wheel cart mode is less maneuverable but all you have to do is push/pull.

[​IMG]

If you've ever moved loaded 55 gallon drums, you know they can easily be 800 pounds. Every drum dolly transports them in a 4 wheel tilted mode, the optimum position to maneuver those heavy sons-of-*******. One multi-cart that does that is the Gruv Gear V-Cart Solo. I play with a guitarist who has one and I've been coveting his. A blemished one came up on the Guitar Center site and along with a coupon, I got a decent deal! I finally got to use it today!

[​IMG]
    Angel's Stadium in background

As you can see, there's room for plenty more. You can even cram stuff on the bottom deck. It was super easy to maneuver between banquet tables and it's solidly built (rated to 500 pounds) unlike the Magnacart, which you have to baby. That comes at a price. The V-Cart is heavier and takes up a lot of room compared with the Magnacart. With an upright on my back, it was a way casual, single-trip load in. I'm looking forward to heavier, further schleps! :p
  2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Looks like another piece of essential gear gets added to the list. Very nice
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I was debating one of these, are those wheels plastic or actual rubber tires?
  4. elgecko

elgecko

They're non-pneumatic rubber. Very solid.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I have one and it is definitely a back saver, but watch how you load it in and out of a vehicle. One of my wheels (the larger set) now sticks because it somehow got pushed in and the 'rubber' rubs on the frame. It's a very expensive piece of kit for something like that to happen. At this price point I would give these a very qualified endorsement. Gear for loading gear should be tougher than this.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

Wow, that sucks! I'm trying to picture in my mind how that would happen but can't. I'll have to look at it when I get home and be careful with it.
  8. Marial

I've been trying to figure it out too...
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

It's probably just the photo, but your bass appears to be bending. Unless you like a bunch of relief, then never mind. :p

Nice cart. It gives me hope and ideas for the future.
  10. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

11. bassinplace

bassinplace

12. elgecko

elgecko

I wonder if the bearings went bad. Have you pulled the offending wheel off and taken a look? I looked and the wheel is nowhere near a tube that it could rub against without crazy bending of the frame.

I *do* like high action!

:p
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you have a picture of it all folded up for storage, with no gear on it? I'm not really sure I need one of these, but it looks cool enough to hang on the wall in the garage for one of those 'just in case I need this' moments. I could put tools and stuff on it.

-Mike
  14. elgecko

elgecko

15. Marial

It's possible. I'll take photos tonight and post them here.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I was hoping for you to post a pic of yours, but that will do. Thanks buddy.

-Mike
  17. Stingray5

Stingray5 Supporting Member

friggin love my v-cart:

[​IMG]

Hands down one of the best gear investments I've ever made.

I've even used it at home to move appliances. It scratches easily as the black metal tubing makes direct contact with the ground, but that's just cosmetic and doesn't affect me.

The bungees are a must and have so fat withstood 2 years of gigging with no signs of wear/stretching.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

That's partly how I justified the expense. I didn't already own a heavy duty cart for use around the house.

BTW, that's a BIG cab! I bet the cart makes it feel like a feather.
  19. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

This is pushing me over the edge for buying one of these! Nice cab!