1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

NDB - Mike Dirnt Road Worn Blonde/RW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sPiKi, Apr 13, 2014.

1. sPiKi

sPiKi

Well after a few weeks trying to shift my MIA P bass, I eventually got it sold last week and bought this on Thursday in its place. Cost me nothing to change so even more enjoyable:)

Feel I got a good deal at £699/approx $1100 compared to the full retail here in the UK of approx £1100/$1800. Hadn't expected it until Monday and got quite a surprise when the courier knocked on my door about 10.30 yesterday morning. Needless to say, all other duties ceased for quite some time!

I know the whole thing about relicing/road worn divides bassists but this looks and feels as cool as anything. Really has to be seen to appreciate the quality of the workmanship. Neck is definitely more comfortable than the MIA P and the frets are great, nice and smooth and very similar to my MIA J. The relicing on the hardware is very well done. Like MD says in the Fender video it really is more like a white wash and the grain of the ash comes through very nicely.

As far as tone is concerned, its your classic P sound only with more punch and growl. Had to tweak the EQ on my V4BH and cut the mids a bit but overall was very impressive with a nice clang on the low E. A couple of people admired my 'tele bass' and another aspect I like about this bass is that it doesn't look like a gimmicky signature guitar (I don't really care for Green Day, although do like MD's playing). Hard case is very cool too - well constructed, nice little Fender logo and snug fit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/due26j7ddszmkxa/rnkCNAaV2V

2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Congrats man, I've been waiting so long for someone to post up an nbd/review. These basses sound mean! It's a shame for me though: I know a lot of people like a relic'd look but personally not a fan, but then the relic'd version sunburst is a much nicer colour than the old model.

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Anyone else have one of these Road Worn versions and can post a review?? I've been eyeing the white/maple for a long time.

4. klejst

klejst

Congrats, cool bass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Nice! How's the weight?

7. FenderOli

FenderOli

NDB New Dirnt Bass

8. awilkie84

awilkie84

No fair! How come yours arrived before mine? lol I've been waiting 3 weeks for mine to get here. :( And yours has a BA-II!? :O They're not supposed to have those anymore!

jazzonlyjazz likes this.
  9. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Wait...They don't have the BA bridge anymore on these?? That's actually a positive for me if that's true.

10. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

mmm, dat ash.

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

They use the Fender Hi-Mass bridge, now. Either way, it's a 5 hole vintage mount. You can swap it out for any bridge and probably sell the BA2 for more than you paid for the replacement bridge.

grrg63 and jazzonlyjazz like this.
  12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Where did you order yours? L&M? Tom Lee?

And yes, you're right. Most of the signature models no longer have the BAII...in its place is a new Fender hi-mass bridge that LOOKS and FUNCTIONS the same as a BAII.

13. awilkie84

awilkie84

Long & McQuade, yes. I'm still debating putting a BA2 on mine. I like the look better, especially if I can find one with a bit of tarnish. :D

14. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

The OP's BAII had multiple grooves on the saddles...makes me wonder if the bass was used and the previous owner did that or if those are exclusive only on the MD model...

15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I way rather have the badass II , I wouldnt want Fenders knock off of a BA. If you dont want a BA its a quick 60-80, you wont get that for the Fender one at all, maybe 30.

16. awilkie84

awilkie84

I've had 2 basses with the Hi-Mass. It's a good bridge. It just doesn't look enough like a Badass for my liking. :p
    I wouldn't sell the Hi-Mass, either. I have another bass it can go on.

17. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sweetwater has three in stock that are under 9 lbs. The lightest is an 8 lb 8 oz white/maple like this one.

I owned an 02 MIM Dirnt Sig that was 10 lb 5 oz. Hefty but played and sounded great.

Treadstone71 and awilkie84 like this.
  18. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

They look alright but of course, the BAIIs are now rareee

19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

A few years ago the factory slotted ones in mint condition went for up to $140 a bridge, it was nuts, I sold a non grooved one for $100 on ebay then.

awilkie84 likes this.
  20. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Nowdays you'd be lucky to get one for that price at all...

21. awilkie84

awilkie84

Not really. There's a bunch on the classifieds for $80.

A-Step-Towards likes this.