1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Neccesity of strap locks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyattharris, Sep 8, 2012.

1. wyattharris

wyattharris

To me it appears that the general consensus around these parts is that strap locks are a necessity. Personally, i wear my basses pretty high and i honestly don't see any way the strap could slip off the button. Is there anyone else who just dosen't see the need for strap locks? Horror stories of basses dropping welcome :)

2. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    I move/rock out WAY too much to not have strap locks...

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I would do a search. This topic has, honestly, been beaten to death.

4. iovar

iovar

I used to have them for many years on my primary bass. I stopped using them about 9-10 months ago, after the strap that had them on was stolen.

Pros:
    They provide a sense of security and freedom of motion. I've never had a bass fall to the ground without them, but I've caught it mid-air quite a few times. So when I used them my mind was more at ease and I could concentrate on the music without worrying. Plus, they allow you to hold your bass at any angle you like. Also I Iike things that go 'click'.
    Cons:
    Minor: If you have basses without strap locks you are going to need a separate strap for them.
    Major: The tight hold the have on the pin makes its screw go loose on the body a lot more often and faster, than when you are not using strap locks. So you have to check it and fix it often.

Your thread reminded me that I need to order a set again. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WilliamSandoval

WilliamSandoval

Who the hell steals straps?!

7. iovar

iovar

Out of topic, but :

Same guy that steals picks, probably?
    A ten year old leather strap, shortened to my preference, that had only sentimental value and some "decorative stitches" on it...

I forgot it on a university studio. It's the most frequented studio in town, but there is supposedly some control on who get the keys and when. So I was sure that I'd find it again... I went asking around but even though some people definitely knew, they didn't tell me who got it, to avoid any 'incidents'.
    I hope whoever stole it, has thrown it away and forgotten about the stupid thing that he did, because even though I don't go there often anymore, if I happen to see someone wearing my strap I'm simply going to go berserk.

Sorry, for the rant, it's just that there are very few occasions in my life that I truly got mad about something and this was one of them.

Like you said: Who the hell steals straps?!

8. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Before I started using strap locks I use to drop my bass at least every other show... Strap locks are a must for me.

9. Cookye

Cookye

If it comes off the strap and hits the floor anything can happen, broken neck, Bent tuners and the shock could mess the internals up. Seen way too many guitars slipping off their straps and hitting the floor. Spending $15.00 to prevent your bass from having an, unwanted, facelift, it's a no brainer.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    During a gig, a must. I use Dunlops and for basses without them I use the plastic lock made by Dunlop.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay Zane guitars and basses endorsed. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist, Sales Representative and Research and Development for Zane Guitars and Basses.
    They are such an inexpensive cost for an expensive investment. I buy them with all of my basses. Never had one fall yet.

12. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I put straplocks on any new basses immediately after purchasing and before I would ever use them in a live setting and always check that the hardware on the strap and the strap post screw in the bass is tight before strapping on.

13. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

Ok was just going to post this on another thread about locks. Will ask here instead. What do you all think about the "proline" brand? They have the "u" shaped saddle with the pin lock. I bought to sets, was going to buy the dunlops, but got these instead.

14. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

You'll know how it can happen once it does. You might not think you need them now, but wait until your favourite bass hits the floor.

I wear my bass kinda high (lower mid ribcage), and it hass slipped from the strap more times than I want to count.

I prefer these locks over most others- http://www.hennesseyguitarparts.com/NSL7200_List.pdf

I've seen (and heard) other straplocks (those with a "U" latch) can sometimes spin off the pin and fail. The hennessey locks grip tight (the site says they're pricey, but I found them new for $17.

15. jweber76

jweber76

I put them on every bass and guitar I own. Had a bass slip off its strap once in high school...it did far more damage to my foot than the bass. I swore that would never happen again! My brother's guitar dropped in the middle of a gig over the winter! Guess what I got him for his birthday? Three sets of strap locks!
    I prefer the Schaller (or proline) style with the U shaped lock to the Dunlop ones. They are smaller and less conspicuous, I personally feel that they are more secure. I've used both and just didn't like the look or feel of the Dunlop ones. Ymmv.
    I will agree that they have a tendency to loosen up faster than regular strap buttons, to counter this I put loctite on the threads that go through the hole in the strap and crank it down good. I also dip the screws that go into the body in wood glue when I install them, being careful not to overtighten them.

16. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I use strap lock on my electric guitar. For bass, I wear the bass pretty high and I'm not dancing or spinning around while playing, so it's not going anywhere. But, I do stay away from junky straps because I've had the strap release.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah there's also no real reason to wear a motorcycle helmet until you crash into the guardrail.

18. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

I wear my bass kind of high too and like I said it use to love to take a dive for the floor. Maybe I just had a crappy strap. But I would not risk it.

+1 for the Dimarzio Clip Locks. Cheap and they work (not recommended for people with weight/back/shoulder issues; they are kind of narrow)

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

I have never had an issue. Never used a strap lock in my life.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Honestly I never used them until the Ric I bought a couple of years ago came with them. Since then, I have put them on all my basses because I like the security while gigging.

21. Batmensch

Batmensch

Necessary? Maybe yes, maybe no. I just know I feel more secure about my instruments with them on.