neck adjustment/action help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassbo2112, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Ok, so I'm a newbee when it comes to "building" basses, although I have done basic setups for quite some time. Here is my problem:

I tend to pluck and play bass hard, but I prefer the action to be as low as possible. So with my previous basses, I was able to put more/enough bow in the neck to allow me to get the action pretty low.

I recently bought a warmoth p bass build with a jazz neck with their double graphite stiffening rods. Even with the truss rod completely loose, the neck barely gets a bow in it. As a result, I have to raise the action to avoid fret buzz and sounding like crap. I also recently bought a Geddy neck and seem to have a similar issue with creating more bow.

What is the best way to solve my problem? Can I shim the neck (under neck side of the pocket), can I put on a new nut to raise the string height?

I'm kind of lost at this point and really hoping someone here can help me because I really love this bass.

Thanks

Bo
  2. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

try some higher tension strings?
  3. megafiddle

megafiddle

Shimming won't help. All that will do is raise the action, which you will have to correct
    by lowering the saddles. Then you will be right back where you started.

Heavier (higher tension) strings will help.

Also have it checked for high frets. It may need to be leveled. It is also possible to add
    relief when leveling, but that needs to be done very carefully as it removes a little extra
    from the inner frets.
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Shimming the neck does not raise the action, it raises the neck heel and can create a slight neck angle, which effectively lowers the action.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

Depends where you put the shim.
    At the outer end of the pocket, it will raise the action.
    At the inner end of the pocket, it will lower the action.

If you mean shimming the entire length of the pocket with a uniform thickness shim, though,
    then that's true - it would lower the action.
    Normally it's at one end of the pocket or the other, to tilt the neck.
  7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I have never seen anyone shim the outer end of the pocket.

OP: if you have their dual-action rod, you can impose relief in the neck.
  8. bassbo2112

bassbo2112

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. If I shim the neck side of the pocket, I'm creating a V or more bow. Is this something that is acceptable?