Neck Attachment System

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by topcat2069, Sep 11, 2013.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
  2. Neek

Neek

I installed a set of similar threaded inserts on a neck, but the set I have comes with bolts that can be adjusted with an allen wrench. You have to make sure the threaded inserts are installed correctly, or the bolt will not tighten completely. I had to remove, plug, and re-install a few of the ones in my neck because of this.

The main benefit I see is that the allen wrench wont strip the head of the bolt. Not that the phillips head screws were a huge pain, but I was curious enough to go through with the change. If you remove and reattach your neck often, the inserts would reduce the wear-and-tear on the neck, preventing the screw threads from being stripped after too many cycles of off and on. I have read that they change the sound of the instrument, but I'm not sure how they would... I didn't notice any difference.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

^^ This
    Also brass inserts suck. I will only use stainless steel.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Neek

Neek

+1 JLS and Hdracer

The set I bought was from LMII, the threads on the brass insert were soft and easily damaged when trying to repair my mistake. The replacements I bought at my local hardware store were much cheaper (plus immediately available, no shipping), and made of more durable material (steel).
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I agree that's a total rip off, you can get Stainless machine screws and inserts from Lowes for a few bucks.

Brass inserts work fine, you just have to use the correct driver. You will break them using a screwdriver. Stainless on stainless has a tendency to gall, especially if over tightened
  8. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I tried to use brass inserts on a few guitars and my old Ibanez bass and they are junk... after trying the brass I went to Fastenal and ordered some stainless inserts and they were much easier to work with. As far as what they did for the instrument, I hear a good bit of difference on a Fender Strat and no difference whatsoever on a Tele. On my Ibanez fiver I noticed that I could feel the neck vibrate more when played and a bit more definition on the lower notes, but not so much that it was of any real consequence. It did however ease a dead spot I was getting on the D string to some degree...
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

10. stratovani

stratovani

I'm looking over the McMaster-Carr website, and I have a question. How long should the screws be?
  11. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    Wow, great info here.... this is the reason I love Talk Bass.. !:bassist:
  12. Neek

Neek

It depends on your instrument. The LMII set comes with 1.25" bolts, I bought a 1" replacement from the hardware store that feels a little short, I have to press it all the way into the hole to get the threads to grab.
  13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    SS is the way I went, once the upper "flathead" slots of the brass ones started breaking off, when inserting them.........that was the end of brass for me.
  14. fhm555

Just as an FYI. If using stainless try to get your inserts made out of 316. Most small hardware made from stainless is in 18-8, which is harder than most brass used for small fasteners, but not by much. If you can't get a 316 insert, you might want to just go for a carbon steel insert and use a 316 stainless screw to avoid rust issues.

I've never done a guitar neck mod with inserts, but I've put thousands of inserts into plastic parts to strengthen r/c race car parts and 18-8 fasteners in M3 are prone to stripping where you really need to gank down on them. I've tried brass, 18-8 stainless, and carbon steel and the plain steel are by far the most durable and since they are ( usually) grade 12-9 your fastener will fail before you will strip the insert.
  15. Hopkins

Again, if you try and use a screwdriver to install the brass insert the tabs are going to break off.

The driver looks like this, or you can use a stud with double locking nuts and a washer. But a screwdriver will break them off every time
    [​IMG]

I have had way to much stainless hardware gall up at work to have any interest in using stainless screws in a stainless insert. If you over tighten it just a little bit there is a good chance they will never come back apart.
  16. Hopkins

The reason I prefer brass inserts over stainless. This is a 1/4" bolt I took off at work. The nut was spun on all the way by hand and snugged up. It galled when taking it back apart and I had to break it to get it apart.

[​IMG]
  17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

This is a very good way to get a solid neck coupling if you have a bass that someone has removed and reattached the neck too many times already.

But, if the existing joint is well-fitted and undamaged, I can't see that it would be worth the effort.

For the life of me, I can't see why one would regularly remove and reattach the neck again and again, but I suppose it does happen. If that is something you choose to do, this is probably a great idea.

I do second the use of some form of internally wrenching bolts though. They are much easier to secure tightly.
  18. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

+1

The problem isn't the brass material itself. The brass material is plenty strong enough to get a solid neck-to-body connection. If the brass insert is giving out, you're overtorquing the bolts.

The problem is the design of the insert, with the slotted end that invites the use of a screwdriver. This will surely end up with a chewed-up insert.

Either use the right tool, or choose an insert that uses a hex tool. Either will work fine.
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i love the concept of a true bolt-on neck and opposed to a 'bolt-in' neck that actually only screws on. ime, the lower the inital overall quality of the instrument, the more noticeable the beneficial returns from such a system. in general, metal transfers sound waves better than wood. as an aside, it also helps when traveling/flying to be able to easily and reliably detach and reattach the neck on a bass.
  20. fhm555

Where did all the heat come in to play? The bolt got hot enough to blue and that takes a lot of heat for stainless to blue.
  21. Hopkins

No heat, if it looks blue it is just the picture