1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck/Bridge Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I just took my Carvin J99a pickups out of my Ibanez SR406 (to put them in my Squier DJAV--quite an improvement) & had planned on putting the old factory DX6 humbuckers back, hoping that they will thicken out the sound of my Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds (particularly the .043 g string) & bring them to life.

One of those old DX6s had a bit of an accident, leaving me with just one pickup, probably the neck one, but the sticker on the bottom of the pup is worn so I'm not sure.

I immediately found a DX6 on eBay & bought it. I believe it's a "bridge" pup. The thing is, the neck & bridge DX6s look identical. They are definitely humbuckers, so they're not reverse wound (like the single coils) so aren't they identical? I had planned on reinstalling them as if they are identical, even though each is labeled, or identified as B or N. Is there something I ought to know first before soldering?

While on the subject, I really want to bypass that terrible built-in active EQ. The volume pot is passive @ 500k, I am not sure about the blend (or balance) but the 3 tone controls are active. Is it possible to bypass the active EQ & send the signal to the jack straight from the blend control?
  2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Yeah, it would be nice to add a tone control, but I have a good external EQ (MXR-108) & I know the Ibanez active electronics are sucking the life out of the sound. You should hear how much better those Carvins sound w/the Squier's cheap active electronics.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

This place sometimes has used (sometimes new) Ibanez pickups, etc:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Riceage-Music-and-More?_rdc=1
    Not sure how the preamp is in there, but if it's not all combined with the vol and bal pots, you can use a push-pull vol pot to bypass the pre.
    If it's all-in-one, you'll have to replace the vol and bal pots and remove/replace the preamp.