Neck/Bridge Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I just took my Carvin J99a pickups out of my Ibanez SR406 (to put them in my Squier DJAV--quite an improvement) & had planned on putting the old factory DX6 humbuckers back, hoping that they will thicken out the sound of my Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds (particularly the .043 g string) & bring them to life.

One of those old DX6s had a bit of an accident, leaving me with just one pickup, probably the neck one, but the sticker on the bottom of the pup is worn so I'm not sure.

I immediately found a DX6 on eBay & bought it. I believe it's a "bridge" pup. The thing is, the neck & bridge DX6s look identical. They are definitely humbuckers, so they're not reverse wound (like the single coils) so aren't they identical? I had planned on reinstalling them as if they are identical, even though each is labeled, or identified as B or N. Is there something I ought to know first before soldering?

While on the subject, I really want to bypass that terrible built-in active EQ. The volume pot is passive @ 500k, I am not sure about the blend (or balance) but the 3 tone controls are active. Is it possible to bypass the active EQ & send the signal to the jack straight from the blend control?

2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Yeah, it would be nice to add a tone control, but I have a good external EQ (MXR-108) & I know the Ibanez active electronics are sucking the life out of the sound. You should hear how much better those Carvins sound w/the Squier's cheap active electronics.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

This place sometimes has used (sometimes new) Ibanez pickups, etc:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Riceage-Music-and-More?_rdc=1
    Not sure how the preamp is in there, but if it's not all combined with the vol and bal pots, you can use a push-pull vol pot to bypass the pre.
    If it's all-in-one, you'll have to replace the vol and bal pots and remove/replace the preamp.