1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck doesn't quite fit

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Peterious, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Peterious

Peterious

I was give some spare parts from my brother a few years ago, and decided to finally give building a Bass a shot.

The body I have is an unfinished (for now) P/J style body, and the neck is an AXS Jazz neck (I've never heard of AXS; Don't know much about it other than it's MIJ)

The issue that arrises is that the neck just doesn't quite fit into the body.

Here's a few pictures: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my question is, what is the best way to remedy this? Cut into the body? Shave the neck? What tools would I need, and what techniques should I try? I am completely new to this sort of thing, and was hoping it would fit without having to attempt any carpentry. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

Also, any info anyone has on AXY Guitars would be interesting.
  2. vdub75

vdub75

rout the neck pocket to fit the neck
  3. snarebear

snarebear

IMHO I would find out what size the neck pocket is. If a fender neck fit I would use that. Down the line, if there are any neck problems, a replacement neck will be easier and cheaper to find.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Don't make a simple problem complicated, Just take a hard sanding block and some 120 grit and slowly round the corners of the neck heal until it fits the pocket. The corners of the neck pocket are a little more round than the neck. It should be an easy adjustment.
  5. MrWalker

MrWalker

Agree to this, at least the width of the neck pocket seems to be quite perfect... so adjusting the corners of the neck heel to make it fit the pocket seems to be the simple solution :)
  6. Peterious

Peterious

Excellent. I will try rounding off the corners of the neck heel. Will post results here when I'm done. Thanks all!
  7. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Yep as always good advice.