Neck heavy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stash, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Stash

Stash

Hi all,

I've checked that this hasn't been covered and couldn't find anything about it.

When I play my basses, especially the Ric, the neck slides downwards and I end up either lifting it loads of times during a gig or pushing the body down to hold the neck up.

I've tried various straps and nothing seems to hold the neck up.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it?

Stash
  2. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Yup - get a different bass :D
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    While added weight to your bass is never ideal, this strap uses small weights to counterbalance neck heavy basses:
    http://www.neckheavy.com/

I'd say get a new bass myself, but that's obviously not usually a viable option.
  4. Stash

Stash

Thank you so much. I have ordered the strap.

I really don't want to sell my beautiful Rickenbacker and I've not found another bass that I find as easy to play with that great low action. It is not only stunning to look at but a pleasure to play and sounds great too.

Thanks again.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Hipshot Ultralite tuners have saved at least a few of my basses from being sold. If Hipshot makes tuners for Ric's, it might completely eradicate your issue or at minimum make it much better.
  7. Stash

Stash

Sorry to be dense but what is a hipshot ultralite tuner please?

My excuse for my ignorance is that I'm from England, lol
  8. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

9. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Ok, we understand completely!!!!:D BTW, I have to steal that for my signature!
  10. NML1986

NML1986

I've got a Dean that neck dives, I taped lead weights in the control cavity, 4oz worth, it works. :)
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Sorry for not explaining more. Hipshot is a company that makes tuners and bridges (among other things) for basses and guitars. They are very high quality products used on most of the more expensive instruments made.

The Ultrlight series is made to fit many different brands of basses and are much less weight than stock tuners found on many basses. I have a "parts" Jazz bass that had stock Fender tuners. The neck dive was horrible. I put on a set of Hipshot Ultralites and the bass is now perfectly balanced.
  12. spike42

spike42

Perhaps stating the obvious, but I've had better luck in these instances by using a
    wide leather strap with rough suede back.....tends to stay in place rather than sliding.
    The above point about Ultralites is also well-considered. But a plain leather Levy's strap
    is a lot cheaper :}

Edit to add a link to the strap I was talking about:

http://www.levysleathers.com/product;cat,818;item,377;Bass-Guitar-Straps-M4

You can do your own shopping, but in general it's worth a try for around twenty bucks....
  13. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

A wide strap with some roughness is helpful, but when wearing a light shirt, it just ends up pulling your shirt down along with the neck dive (depending on the severity of the problem, of course). :help:

The ultralight tuners is the best long term solution since it helps the actual problem rather than masking it--and makes the bass a tiny bit lighter as well.
  14. kurosawa

I once put a strap button flat on the BACK of a J horn and that, in combination with moving the end button about 4 inches down on the edge of the bass, ended dive on that bass. Also I've advanced buttons around the curve of the horn on the edge of a P bass. That worked, too. There is a new harness that hangs your bass at your "ideal angle," but I haven't tried that out. It looks like a medieval torture device.
  15. pep70

pep70

Beatle basses are notoriously neckheavy too. On at least some occasions, McCartney's answer was to use a strap attached to the headstock.

check out YouTube videos for–

My Brave Face.

it's hard to see how the strap hooked up on the body.

Makes you wonder why McCartney didn't do it more often. is it a loss of cool points as the strap gets more conspicuous?

Both these examples are informal performances.
  16. Russell L

Russell L

I was gonna say...

Also, my jazz Bass Special does it, but I can keep it up by just moving it once in awhile. I know some do it worse than others, though. I had also thought about adding some weights.
  17. kurosawa

18. Stash

Stash

Thanks guys. Have ordered the weighted strap and will see how that goes. Failing that will try the weight in the control panel.

Thanks for all the advice.
  19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

In case the weighted strap doesn't work : Go to gauchostraps.com and look for their Vintage-series. These are straps that go over both your shoulders and spread the weight. Less changed for neck dives and painfully shoulders :)
  20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

+1 to ultralight tuners. Every bass I've used them on has a noticeable change in the neck weight, plus I'd rather do that than add weight; I've sold several instruments due to their weight before.
  21. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I never noticed any neck dive with my 4001. I use a Comfort Strapp because the whole damn bass is heavy. Never even gave neck dive a single thought.