Neck irregularity? Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BigDanT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

TB community. I have a 2010 Fender American Standard Jazz and I love just about everything about it. I was having some intonation issues on it and just couldn't seem to get the setup right myself (I am by no means an expert with setups).

So I took it into a local guy, whom I trust and he was looking it over. When he looked at it, he pointed out to me that the neck seemed to have a little issue that on the left side (looking from the head to the body) there seems to be a small downward dip between about the second and sixth or seventh fret. This freaked me out.

He said it wasn't any big deal and that since no pieces of wood are exactly the same, these things happen and it's perfectly okay.

He also proceeded to get the bass set up perfectly and the intonation perfect. I've had it for about a month since and still set up and intonation perfect.

I just can't get this little neck issue out of my head.

Is he right about this and it's "nothing to worry about" and it's pretty common with natural things like wooden necks? or will it eventually cause problems???

Help!:confused:

2. pfox14

pfox14

If it's not effecting how it plays, then it must be a very small "dip". Otherwise, it would be a big deal.

3. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't even notice it until he pointed it out.

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

You said you trust the guy, and he set it up perfectly afterwards, case closed :)

If he said it's perfectly ok, don't worry about it :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If you look close enough at anything you'll see that it isn't perfect.

Step back a step or two and it comes into focus..

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

If the DIP was enough to worry about you'd know it. You'd have fret buzz and or dead notes that would scream out loud at you.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Its quite possible that the wood has a slight low spot in it, and the problem was eliminated when the frets were leveled. If it plays fine then there is nothing to worry about

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's not broke, so don't fix it.

10. elBandito

elBandito

Get the frets leveled, and you will be set for a while. If you keep the neck long enough for a refret, have the fretboard trued.

To learn to do fret work, I bought a MIM neck which revealed dips at 2nd+3rd fret, 13 to 16th fret. I had to take off so much meat off the other frets to get them level. Now it plays better than my stock MIA neck tho.