1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Neck issue - need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcburn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jcburn

jcburn

Could anyone suggest to me what may be wrong with my bass neck?
    It never quite seems to settle. The truss rod works fine, but it seems that every few days I need to adjust it. It seems to go both ways too, if I adjust it one way after a few days it will have to much relief. Adjust it back and a few days later not enough relief.
    It never bows to become unplayable, but it's enough for me to be unhappy with the action at its extremes.
    It's a relatively new (but out of warranty) Rockbass Streamer Nt1. Neck through, graphite reinforced etc.
    Any ideas folks?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

How much do you crank it in one sitting? 1/2 turn? 1/4 turn? How are you measuring relief?

Riis

3. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    As hinted at above, you could be adjusting it too much in one go, try smaller adjustments then give it a while to settle (strung up). If it's not that you might need to look at where or how you're storing the bass.

4. Gluvhand

Gluvhand

Sorry to jump in like this but how long a wait is recomended between adjustments to the truss rod?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Don't turn it more than a 1/4 turn at a time. I actually usually start with an 1/8 turn and see what happens. Every bass is different. Some necks will change immediately, and some need 48 hours or so before you see the total effect of the adjustment you made. I suspect that you are turning it too far each way and not letting it settle long enough in between adjustments.

7. Precision101

Precision101

Had the same problem with my neck a while back. Like mentioned above turning too much at a time can really cause havoc on your neck. I only turn 1/8 at a time. All basses are different and some May have to be more adjusted than others. I adjust mine every 3 months because of the weather changes. Also let it sit for a bit after adjusting so the wood can get used to the setting

8. skwee

skwee

I'd bring it in to a shop at this point. That seems like a lot of adjusting.