Neck Moisture

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joronamo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Joronamo

Joronamo

Is it normal for my EBMM Stingray 4 to get a damp neck when it rains and I left the windows of my room open? Its a 2009 model with the waxed finished neck. I own a 2011 Stingray 5 and it doesnt get wet. It is also a wax finish but nothing seems to penetrate it, not even Lem-Oil when I apply it. Weird.
  2. Joronamo

Joronamo

Can a Mod change thread title to Neck Moisture instead of next moisture. Was a mistake
  3. Musicman20

Musicman20

I'd let the neck totally dry and put the bass in its case with those packets of silica. Open it up every few days to make sure it's alright.
  4. Joronamo

Joronamo

Its behaved like this for years since I've owned it. Nothing happens to it. it still plays beautifully. I'm just confused as to why it gets wet and the 5 doesn;t.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If nothing penetrates the finish, don't bother using any kind of oil on it. Sealed wood doesn't need anything. For that matter, most wood doesn't. If it has a finish, it's done. It may need to be cleaned occasionally, but that's about all- unless you have a finish that's tacky and in that case, you should change the finish, not use lubricants that can damage the finish.

BTW- if the Lem-Oil has mineral spirits in it, you're removing the wax. Wax has been used for centuries as a finish- the ONLY finish. You can wax wood and add absolutely nothing to it for a long time and it will be just fine.

Condensation forms for one reason- the surface/object is cooler than the surrounding humid air and its temperature is at/below the dew point of the air or it has a lot of moisture and is heated in air that's drier than the wood. If the wood was so wet that it released moisture when it rains, it would be unplayable because it would constantly swell and shrink, with the associated warping that accompanies it. Also, wood won't release moisture when the air becomes more humid- if something is fairly dry (wood that's being used to make something usually has about 6% moisture content) humid air will cause the water in the air to move to the drier material unless there's a enough dry material to actually make the air less humid and a little bass neck can't do that.
  7. Joronamo

Joronamo

Ok so what do I do if my stingray 4 neck is getting moisture from rainy days?
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Try double clicking just to the right of the title of the thread in the list of threads in the bass forum. You should be able to change it.