1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck or bridge pickup replacement for single pickup bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RichardCranium, Feb 3, 2013.

1. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I'm looking to replace the electronics on my Cort Curbow 5 and both options I'm looking at (EMG or Bartolini) are either neck or bridge for the same pickups. Just wondering which I should choose or does it really matter or is it more a size issue.
  2. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

My answer - it depends.

Typically, neck pickups are wound with a little less output, and sometimes with a higher resonant peak, so as to give a little extra emphasis to the higher frequencies. Bridge pickups often are wound a little hotter, with a little lower resonant peak, to keep them from sounding too thin. Sometimes, but not always.

So it really depends on what your tonal goals are.

My suggestion - call the pickup manufacturer, or a knowledgeable dealer, and discuss your objectives with them. They can then make a personalized and informed recommendation.