1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck pocket gap: does it matter on a bolt-on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the art guy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

I've played lots of Fenders, and some obviously fit tightly at the neck pocket while others have a slight gap. So a simple question: does it really make a difference other than aesthetically? If the neck is bolted on tightly, does it have any effect otherwise?
  2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Good question. My new P-V has a gap on top that i can use as a pick holder. Otherwise a beautiful bass looks and sound wise.
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

No.

And no.
  4. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

I have a $4000+ MTD 535 with a gap and it plays like a dream. I dont think it really matters. :)
  5. lettsbasses

lettsbasses

Disclosures:
    owner, lettsbasses
    If it really mattered, fender would be out of business. Actually thpugh, all aspects of build quality are important. A guitar with a tight fitting neck is always gonna resonate better and have a fuller sound but I wouldn't worry yourself.
  6. mystic38

mystic38

The only question to ask is of yourself and its "do i like how the bass sounds"..

Improved neck/body joint = more sustain and better resonance... Gibson glues the necks on LPs for a reason ;)
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

This is subjective & not always the case. I've played bolt-ons with MUCH better sustain & resonance than the neck throughs. I also own both a neckthrough Spector & a bolt-on with the same electronics & hardware. Next to no discernable difference.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nope and nope. As long as you have the neck bolted securely in place, it makes no difference at all.
  9. moorebass

moorebass Supporting Member

A tight neck pocket indicates a greater attention to overall build quality but in my experience there is no direct correlation between a tight neck pocket and tone or playability.

It's funny that tbone mentioned his MTD 535. My Norm Stockton 535 had a gap in the neck pocket big enough for a pick (in addition to a nut that had come partly unglued). I've gone through a lot of basses since I sold it, but it is still #1 on the list of basses I'd like to have back.
  10. hover

hover

Gonna have to ask you to prove this.
  11. mystic38

mystic38

fyi i made no statement that every glued neck is better than every bolt on neck.. but there are reasons why 3 bolt was dropped in favour of 4 and some have 5 or 6 bolts...to make a more solid neck/body connection (for a reason) while still maintaining a mass produce assembly line operation.

more mass from more wood, denser wood, bigger neck, better connection between the ends of the system leads to better sustain.. improved sustain comes from more solid anchoring of both ends of the resonating string system, such that less of the vibrating energy is transmitted into the support structure.. ...

that is science, not subjectivity. Now, does it make hill of beans in general terms?..nope.. that is why i said the only question is "do i like how the bass sounds",

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Is there any link to dead spots as a result of a not so tight neck pocket? I've owned a few neck through basses early on but I don't remember whether dead spots were any more common than on bolt on.
  13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    For most bolt on's that I've seen, worked on or built, there is a bit of "slop" (not to say the work is sloppy at all). It's good to have a bit of "play" in the neck pocket, which in some cases is slightly tightened up with finish.
  14. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Still not necessarily correct.
  15. mystic38

mystic38

am confused by your post...

do you mean that if he likes his bass he should sell it?, or you dont agree with what sustain is?, or is it that you dont have a solid grasp of engineering?.

16. mystic38

mystic38

from what i have read dead spots are associated with sympathetic resonance of high Q within the system and are reduced (dampened) by increasing the mass at the head of the neck..
    frankly am somewhat surprised in this age that none of this is modelled, but then again guitar making is kinda largely old school..

17. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Thanks for all this input so far. To clarify, I'm not interested in getting rid of a bass just because it has such a gap. I just happen to have a parts bass I assembled recently with a pretty good sized gap, and I don't notice any difference (other than visual). So it just got me wondering, that's all.
  18. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I think the idea is more that the dead spot gets moved higher up the neck (not that it disappears completely). Then again, Sadowsky uses thicker headstocks than Fender but I've played Sadowskys that still had the "classic" dead spot around the seventh fret on the G string.
    As for neck pockets, I have no idea whether the tightness of a neck pocket has any discernable effect on tone but I do see a neck pocket with a gap as a sign of a lack of attention to detail (so I prefer to have a tight pocket for that reason alone).
  19. mystic38

mystic38

in that case..pickholder!..:D

20. maturanesa

maturanesa

Tight neck pocket is better of course... A profesional builder would attach the neck and the body just with the preasure between them... with no screws...just to see if the work is well done...

Watch this: