1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck pocket mounting hole question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassgod76, Dec 21, 2012.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I couldn't find this topic in the stickies. If there is one, point it out to me.

I have a Danelectro neck that I'm mounting to a body blank.

I will have to carve out the neck pocket. (no problem)

The Danelectro neck already has mounting holes in it from when it was on another body. How do I drill mounting holes in the body that will line up with the neck's existing mounting holes?

I have heard that you can dowel the old holes in the neck, but it may structurally weaken the joint if a new hole is drilled to where it overlaps the doweled hole.

Thoughts?
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Cut some neck screws in half.

Screw the pointy ends into the neck by hand, so the points are just poking out.

Place the neck, and press down hard.

(Can't take credit; saw it here somewhere!)
  3. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Thus why I love Talk Bass. Always a wealth of info here. :)
  4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Just use the existing holes. Just be careful to drill through the body at the correct place and straight down.

to find the location of the holes you could either measure. (Find center of neck and center of body and use that as a reference.) Be exact!

The alternative is to cut the tips of a few screws (with the correct thread/size) or a few nails that fit snugly into the holes (But DON'T hammer them in!).

But the tips into the holes on the neck and push it down into the neck pocket. The tips will mark the correct placement of the screws. Just make sure you hold the neck straight before you make the marks.

edit: Beaten to it.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

'bout to do the same myself, for a StingBird project. :hyper:
  6. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

I stumbled on this thread looking for the same answer, and just realized that maybe take a tracing paper approach. Trace the neck on a sheet of school, or legal pad paper, cut it out, and then poke holes in it, slip it in the neck pocket, and you've got your blue print to drill. But, maybe drilling the holes in the other direction from outside on the finish side toward the inside would be better. Either way a very small bit to start the hole is probably smart...