Neck Profile.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jefff, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Am I the only one who ever sands the neck on their bass to change the profile?

I keep reading things like, " The ric neck feels so good but the P bass was to wide"

A ric is usually wider at the nut than a P bass. It's the profile that feels "wrong". I have owned countless bass guitars and the only ones I haven't changed are a 70 4001 and a late 60's EBO. those were each perfect in their own ways.

There is plenty of meat on most bass necks. It is very easy to take a 16th to 3/32nds off. Any competent luthier could do it.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Which ones? Virtually all Rick basses I have encountered/owned were around 1 5/8" (and I am talking about early '60s through current models), same as a Fender B neck, which is P Bass width (with the exception of P Basses with C necks - 1 3/4" wide nuts, wider yet!).

Also, the neck profiles on Rick basses varied of the decades; the profile on my March '73 4001 feels slimmer (and nicer, to me) than most P Basses I have played. In the end, it is all another personal choice thing, not that one is better than the other.

3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Most rics I have played were 1 and 11/16ths.

My point is it's the neck that makes it feel "slick", not the nut width.

4. msaone

msaone

Actually they were "too" wide.

Sorry, it's impossible for me to resist. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Well, that's a given as nut width is only one aspect of how a neck feels.

I just measured the Ricks I have, for accuracy; they do vary a bit.

Early '73 4001 - 1 19/32"
    Mid '93 2030GF - 1 5/8"
    Late '11 4004L - 1 21/32"
    Mid '13 4004L - 1 11/16"

The profiles vary a bit with the 4001 and 2030GF feeling virtually the same and the two 4004L are a bit thicker feeling; this may be primarily due to the shoulders of the neck profile being different as the nut width differences are not too :D much different.

My Martin Keith fretless Elfin 5 has a 1 7/8" nut but it's neck feels about the same as the '73 4001, as it's neck shoulders are very shallow in profile. Best feeling 5 string bass I have ever played. :bassist:

7. Jeff Scott

He he! :)

8. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

You generally don't hear about people sanding Ric necks because they're painted. With Fender-type necks (not painted) it's easy to sand them down. I've done that to quite a few of my basses in the past. Sand them and Tru-Oil them. They feel great.

9. Jeff Scott

I know one (and have played it), a 4001V63 that was shaved down to more of a '60 profile. The bass is known as Snow White and is pretty well known among Rick-O-Philes.

10. pfox14

pfox14

I don't know why anyone would buy a bass with a neck they didn't like and wind up re-shaping it. If you don't like the neck - find another bass.

11. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I've been toying with the idea of sanding my Ric neck for some time now. Not too wide-too thick.

12. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Because sometimes everything else is "just right" and sanding a bit of thickness off of the neck only takes a couple of casual afternoons' work.

13. Jeff Scott

+1.

I have done various mods to most of the basses I have owned, including ZONs and Alembics, even reshaping a '72 Telecaster Bass body. Reshaping a neck is not hard to do.

14. brad houser

brad houser

my Squier precision 5 is WAY better after I sanded the shoulders down about 1/8". better on my left hand, and somehow the low end tightened up some.