1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck Profile.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jefff, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jefff

Jefff

Am I the only one who ever sands the neck on their bass to change the profile?

I keep reading things like, " The ric neck feels so good but the P bass was to wide"

A ric is usually wider at the nut than a P bass. It's the profile that feels "wrong". I have owned countless bass guitars and the only ones I haven't changed are a 70 4001 and a late 60's EBO. those were each perfect in their own ways.

There is plenty of meat on most bass necks. It is very easy to take a 16th to 3/32nds off. Any competent luthier could do it.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Which ones? Virtually all Rick basses I have encountered/owned were around 1 5/8" (and I am talking about early '60s through current models), same as a Fender B neck, which is P Bass width (with the exception of P Basses with C necks - 1 3/4" wide nuts, wider yet!).

Also, the neck profiles on Rick basses varied of the decades; the profile on my March '73 4001 feels slimmer (and nicer, to me) than most P Basses I have played. In the end, it is all another personal choice thing, not that one is better than the other.
  3. Jefff

Jefff

Most rics I have played were 1 and 11/16ths.

My point is it's the neck that makes it feel "slick", not the nut width.
  4. msaone

msaone

Actually they were "too" wide.

Sorry, it's impossible for me to resist. :)
  5. Jeff Scott

Well, that's a given as nut width is only one aspect of how a neck feels.

I just measured the Ricks I have, for accuracy; they do vary a bit.

Early '73 4001 - 1 19/32"
    Mid '93 2030GF - 1 5/8"
    Late '11 4004L - 1 21/32"
    Mid '13 4004L - 1 11/16"

The profiles vary a bit with the 4001 and 2030GF feeling virtually the same and the two 4004L are a bit thicker feeling; this may be primarily due to the shoulders of the neck profile being different as the nut width differences are not too :D much different.

My Martin Keith fretless Elfin 5 has a 1 7/8" nut but it's neck feels about the same as the '73 4001, as it's neck shoulders are very shallow in profile. Best feeling 5 string bass I have ever played. :bassist:
  6. Jeff Scott

He he! :)
  7. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

You generally don't hear about people sanding Ric necks because they're painted. With Fender-type necks (not painted) it's easy to sand them down. I've done that to quite a few of my basses in the past. Sand them and Tru-Oil them. They feel great.
  8. Jeff Scott

I know one (and have played it), a 4001V63 that was shaved down to more of a '60 profile. The bass is known as Snow White and is pretty well known among Rick-O-Philes.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

I don't know why anyone would buy a bass with a neck they didn't like and wind up re-shaping it. If you don't like the neck - find another bass.
  10. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I've been toying with the idea of sanding my Ric neck for some time now. Not too wide-too thick.
  11. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Because sometimes everything else is "just right" and sanding a bit of thickness off of the neck only takes a couple of casual afternoons' work.
  12. Jeff Scott

+1.

I have done various mods to most of the basses I have owned, including ZONs and Alembics, even reshaping a '72 Telecaster Bass body. Reshaping a neck is not hard to do.
  13. brad houser

brad houser

my Squier precision 5 is WAY better after I sanded the shoulders down about 1/8". better on my left hand, and somehow the low end tightened up some.