Neck Profiles - Nordy - Sadowsky - Lakland - 4bangers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THORRR, Nov 26, 2012.

1. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not being able to compare these three live where I live (never even SEEN a Nordy in person) I would like to get owners opinions & comparisons of these three neck profiles on 4 string Jazz Basses.

Who's got the thinnest neck (front to back as in: top of the first fret to the back of the neck) and neck contour shape?

What do you like about yours the most?
    Be sure to include the model designation of what you're describing.

Thanks in advance.
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Nordy vJ4 is by far one of the thinnest (fron to back) necks I've played. For me, it was too small. Sadowsky has a "Standard" Fender feel. Perhaps just a touch thicker... but just a touch. Same with Lakland.

3. ppal

ppal

Check out the Xotic XJ-1T 4...beautiful bass that has a killer feel with the C shaped, oil rubbed neck, 10" radius. I've played and owned Sadowsky's, Lakland, Nordy, but this Xotic bass is just killer....reminds me of my old 62' jazz, but with a better feel with the oil rubbed neck and the 10" radius, I actually prefer it over the 12" radius of the Sadowsky's. Not a lot of bassists are playing these basses because they are relatively new on the market, but I guarantee these basses are going to be classics, they sound and feel great!!

4. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

Any Sadowsky or Lakland enthusiasts wanna weigh in?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

I've heard a lot of good things about those basses. Nashville bassist Michael Rhodes is crazy over 'em. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think he dated Sadowskys for y-e-a-r-s before he switched.

7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

I am a Sadowsky enthusiast. There's not much more anyone can add to what I stated...

Nordy vj4 neck is a very slim version of a Fender
    Sadowsky 4 string neck is a slightly thicker veresion of a Fender

8. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

It's been a while since I've had a Lakland JO4 in my hands, but IIRC I'd tend to agree w/ MG that as far as neck depth goes, I'd put it in the same ballpark as a Sadowsky. (at least the 4-bangers I've tried, including the one I own) A very nice, rounded "C" shape profile, just like my Fender, too. Never had the pleasure of playing a Nordy.

9. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I used to own a Sadowsky with a 9" Radius, it was too thin for my taste but a killer Bass.

[​IMG]

10. roadkill2309

roadkill2309 Supporting Member

I own both. Both necks are comfy and fairly flat, front to back. I also have a Fender P that feels a little thicker, but not enough to make a case of. All have virtually identical string spacing as well, I think. The Lakland and Sadowsky both have flatter, more modern-feeling fretboards than the Fender.

Unless you're extremely sensitive, I think that liking the feel of a Lakland will mean that you like the Sadowsky as well and vice-versa.

Oh: My Fender's neck is glossy, the Lakland will be either satin (Skyline) or oiled (US), and the Sadowsky is satin as well.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

FWIW my circa 2000 Sadowsky NYC (non graphite reinforced) neck is thinner front to back than my 1966 Fender Jazz. I would say it's thinner than a few Lakland's I've played. Not sure how the newer graphite reinforced Sadowsky Necks differ.

12. emart

emart Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Avatar photo courtesy of Matt Shalaby Photography
    +1

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

My 4-94 has a very thin neck, a 1.6" nut, and (I think) 19mm string spacing. Also, the sides of the fingerboard are not perpendicular to the top. You can see the sides of the fingerboard from the back.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Sadowsky MV5 owner here. Neck is a C shape, and only moderately thin front to back. I believe in a balance of specs working together to make a good playing bass. This bass has it.

Have not owned a Lakland in years, but pretty sure it's thinner front to back than Sadowsky.

15. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

My Lakland 4 has a 1.58 width at nut neck profile which I consider comfortable and reasonably thin as did my old US 55-94 though being hand made I think there is variation in thickness especially in some of the older Laklands. I prefer the Lakland over the Sadowsky Metro which was quite nice and very much like the Jazz to me though I have never played a NYC Sadowsky. The thinnest neck I think I ever played was a Pedulla Rapture J5 I owned for a while with Bartolinis. It was so thin I just couldn't get used to it, but it was a great and very playable bass. Depends on what you like, are used to, or looking for I guess.