1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pica, Jan 5, 2013.

1. pica

pica Supporting Member

I ordered a Fender Jazz that had to be shipped from Kansas City to Detroit. Due to a "labor dispute" the bass has been sitting in various UPS trucks for a week, I should of gotten it yesterday. I'm just curious how sitting in the cold trucks for a week will effect the neck.
  2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

There's been a few times I couldn't be home for delivery and the bass has sat on the porch all day(and you can imagine the weather 300 mi north of you this time of year!)..Just let it warm up a few hours before doing any set-up/tuning and it should be fine..
  3. pica

pica Supporting Member

Thanks funkingroovin. Yea, I've been up to Charlevoix in the winter. I know how cold it gets. Hope your stayin warm up there. Cheers.
  4. Bob C

Bob C

Is it in transit or sitting in a parked truck? Cold is not good for the bass. The neck could warp.

I said "could". I used to travel with my basses in the back of a truck with no adverse effects (before I wised up and decided to take better care of my gear).

What is too cold or too long will vary, depending on the specific instrument and other factors. BUT ... what can you do anyway? If the bass is damaged when you receive it, file a claim against UPS.
  5. pica

pica Supporting Member

It's in transit now. I'll get it tomorrow.
  6. pflash4001

pflash4001

I wouldn't wait a few hours...I know it's hard, but I'd wait a whole day or two. If its still cold and you open it up in a warm room before it warm up enough you could get some nasty finish checking. Be patient and put the pkg in a back room for a day or two so it doesn't tempt you each time you pass by.
  7. pica

pica Supporting Member

Well it's going to be delivered to the store. I'm not going to be able to pick it up until around 8 pm. So by that time it will have been in the store most of the day so it should be alright. Or I can wait until Tuesday and pick it up.