Neck rise. Ever had it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MegaSwing, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Everybody knows neck dive. For the first time ever, I have a bass that does the opposite. It's a Fender Blacktop Precision body combined with a maple/maple Warmoth Jazz neck with Hipshot Ultralights. Strapped over my shoulders, this bass actually balances in such a way that the neck just floats there. And it's no feather (a little less than 10 pounds). It just feels so unusual because I've grown so used to necks that want to dive, even if it's only a tiny bit. It alters the ergonomics of playing in a noticeable way.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Just curious.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    It's just happy to see you.
  3. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

LOL!
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

I was on the same page ... How about a nice wide strap? You can add mass to the headstock but it goes against the grain to do such a thing.

Davo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

As Davo said, it's uncommon to be bottom-heavy, but it's not unheard of.

Is there any way to remove weight from the body and add it to the neck/headstock? I realize it's not the original neck...perhaps the original Fender tuners were heavier? Take a look at a stock blacktop and see if it has the open-back Fender tuners. I can almost guarantee those are heavier than hipshot ultralights.

Assuming you don't want to change necks, you can also take a look at the body and see if there are any ways to reduce weight, such as mini pots or plastic knobs.
  7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Actually, I don't mind it all. It's just noticeably different. I think the heavy double-humbuckers and high-mass bridge in the Blacktop body account for the unusual balance (or lack thereof). I will be field testing it over the next few weeks to see how it works in real gigging. It could be a better situation playing-wise than neck dive. The neck sits in a pretty good place. We will see.
  8. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

My Fernandes Revolvers do the same thing, part of the reason I love 'em so much.
  9. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Fair enough mate, if it's sitting in a comfortable spot then leave it be. I think an instrument that's not fighting in either direction is pretty much the goal we're all aiming for.