1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Neck Stability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cv115505, Jan 15, 2014.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Ok, I am new to all of this (building my own basses) and I have a pretty fundamental (4 syllable word for stupid) question.

What contributes more to neck stability... multi-laminate construction, or stiffening rods? Is there a real difference?
    I know companies that typically build Fender-esque designs typically employ either graphite or steel stiffening rods, while other companies use 5-piece multilaminate construction or just use quarter-sawn necks... So what really works, and what is just an advertising gimmick?

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I'm also curious to see what the opinions are.

I've owned multi-laminates and necks with extra stiffening rods, and (unfortunately) I've had to occasionally adjust them all about the same. Some stable, some wonky of each type.

Except for this one G&L neck, a "bi-cut" maple one that hasn't moved in about 19 years. And I don't even know if they do that anymore.

Might also post this in the "Luthier's Forum" on here.
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

My G&L has a quartersawn neck and I definitely already posted it in the Luthier's Corner section haha
  4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

My experience has been that Fender-style necks are very stable. I have an '06 Fender '51 P reissue that came from Japan in a cardboard box: it has required one tweak to the truss rod, about 2 weeks after I got it. I have or have owned three other Ps and a Jazz, and I believe I have never had to adjust any of them, including the J which was shipped here in a trade from the Pacific Northwest. That Jazz Bass, by the way, had the lowest action without fret buzz that I have encountered.

I also owned a Carvin LB20 bass with a laminated mahogany/ebony neck that needed to be adjusted nearly every time I pulled it out of its case.

The single bad neck I have encountered was on an Indonesian-built Squier P, because some idiot had cross-threaded the truss rod. I sold it for what I paid for it, so no harm done, but that was not a fault of the instrument.