Neck Taper Jigs..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LightGroove, Mar 31, 2014.

1. LightGroove

LightGroove

Greetings,

I want to go with a tapered "center lam" on my current build. I made my 1st attempt at a taper yesterday with poor results. I used my bandsaw and then cleaned up with my jointer. My taper was off a bit and a little wavy. Im hoping to have closer to finish results before hitting the jointer. I was curious about folks taper setups. What works and or is a waste of $$ Ive looked into buying a taper tool for my table saw or perhaps a nice kreg miter setup but at $150 :eek: Would love to see pics.

Thanks!

2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    I just cut my first two necks last week or so, so I have no experience to speak of. I got my tapers together by measuring out the heel pretty precisely on graph paper. I then spray adhesived the heel to a piece of 1/4" mdf. I hand traced the taper on the mdf then cut it out on the band saw and sanded until it was dead straight and perfect.

I double sided taped the 1/4" to a 1/2" mdf and then cut out. I used a router table and a top bearing flush trim bit with the 1/4" as a template to get the 1/2" mdf more or less perfect and then sanded until I was happy.

I rough cut the taper of the necks and attached the 1/2" mdf template and used the router table to clean up the rest. One of the necks turned out more or less perfect and the other had mad chip chip out. I changed bits between the two, so this may account for my error.

It clearly didn't cost me much in graph paper, mdf or spray adhesive, and I felt it came out pretty well. How well still remains to be seen.

For my next set of necks, I'm probably going to build a taper sled to run along the fence of my bandsaw. My current method is a whole lot of steps and I'd like to really reduce the likelihood of tearout and chipout.

No pics presently, but I'll include links to what I'll be using next.

http://www.rockler.com/taper-straight-line-jig

Also, Norm builds a taper jig around 10:50 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSjsTuNL94

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I draw the line, rough-cut with a bandsaw, attached a piece of jointed MDF, and route it flat.

4. mrz2u

mrz2u

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Media:
    Albums:
    Op, I think I'm in the same boat, wanting to taper from a 3/4" wide to a 1/2" wide center lam. I've been imagining something like what Mrz2u showed, however with a couple more clamps amd a common clamp face. Probably overkill, really.