1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Neck to thin on my Lakland Bob Glaub?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikeruss, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mikeruss

mikeruss Supporting Member

I just picked this beauty up used recently and love it's tone and playability but when giging i'm noticing that my sustain is effected greatly when I apply any pressure to the neck. In other words if I hit a note and pull back on the neck on the lower frets closest to the nut, even with the slightest pressure it buzzes out the strings on the upper frets. I have no issues on my Fender P's so I'm wondering, is my neck to thin?

2. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Have you tried tightening the neck bolt screws?

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

So you're BENDING the neck? Whatever for, unless you're going for a vibrato without a whammy bar.

If the relief is low and the action is low, bending the neck will cause exactly this. Check the neck bolt screws as Shedua511 suggests, but other than that I'd say stop bending the neck.

John

4. pfox14

pfox14

I also don't get why you are bending the neck. What's up with that?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mikeruss

mikeruss Supporting Member

I guess using the term "bending" the neck was not appropriate. Simply playing the bass and moving it, as in adjusting it on my body with my left hand ever so slightly causes the fretting out issue.

And Yep, I checked and tightened the neck screws and did raise the action unfortunatley which did help the issue some. I say unfortunately because it was super low and sweet prior.

Preface: I've been playing bass for thirty years and have never had this issue prior and I promise I would never bend the neck back on purpose for any effect.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Hmmmm......If you checked the neck bolts ( my suggestion) I am not sure what else to suggest other than " playing around with it" in a non live situation to see if you can figure out what is going on.

If there is an issue I would contact lakland at leo@lakland.com to see what he thinks is up....