Neck/Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tripgod, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Tripgod

Tripgod

I have owned and played an Ibanez Soundgear for 20+. I recently made 2 new purchases: A Schecter Omen-4 and an Ibanez Soundgear Gio. On the back of the neck on the Gio, it's like there are 2 pieces of wood, like the headstock is connected to the neck, but the wood there is coming up, like you can stick a fingernail in it.
    The Omen-4 has the same thing but it's solid, you can't stick a fingernail it.

My Ibanez Soundgear that I've owned forever doesn't have that at all. Can someone help me out? I've attached pics to try and help illustrate.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

If it hasn't always been that way, I'd de-tune it before someone loses an eye.:p

Someone with brains will soon give decent advice, probably along the line of injecting glue in there and clamping it.

Good luck!
  3. bootsox

bootsox

yep, glue and clamps is it. if it's just misaligned and not separating, you might be able to get away with just sanding it down.
  4. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

It's called a scarf joint. usually found on lower priced basses where the headstock is joined to the neck. Most higher priced basses use a single piece for the neck and headstock. if the headstock is wider than the neck, manufactuers will add 'wings' to the headstock as found on Ricks and Gibsons for example.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tripgod

Tripgod

Is it coming apart? Is it something I should be concerned about? I want to try to resell the Ibanez Gio but I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that or not.

Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate it.
  7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I suggest returning it.
  8. Tripgod

Tripgod

That's what I was afraid of. Ok, I'll contact the seller and start raising hell so I can get my money back. Thanks!