1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

neck wood:ovangkol vs. all wenge (for warwicks)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Porcelain, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Porcelain

Porcelain

Trying to find out weather it's worth it to wait for a used wick from the 90's to come out on ebay with an all wenge neck or buy new with ovangkol neck/wenge fingerboard.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Wait for something like a Streamer Pro M or LX with the 3 piece wenge neck. I believe I've seen some Fortress / Masterman (?) models in the classifieds. Just my 2 cents.

Riis
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

They are different, both great. The wenge has more attack and immediacy, the ovankol is rounder and smoother. Both are growly an woody but in a different way.
  4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I like both. I was surprised at how much I liked the ovankol, I prefer the feel and look of it over wenge.
  5. dreads311

dreads311

I have a custom Thumb NT 5 broadneck w ovangkol neck and wedge fingerboard. The feel is phenomenal. The look is classy. The sound is warm and full with the signature Warwick growl.

Obviously, it's a matter of personal taste/preference. However, I LOVE this neck/fingerboard combo and vote that you buy new. Just my 2 cents.
  6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Porcelain - As I stated in the other thread, in 2013 most models will be going back to using all Wenge necks. Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!
  7. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Wenge is more stable.
  8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Based on the extensive testing we have done, this is not a fact I would back you on. Both Wenge and Ovangkol are extremely stable wood, especially when cared for, and constructed, properly.
  9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

And when it comes to the difference in sound?
  10. oddgrowth

oddgrowth

my vote is for all wenge.

'94 corvette owner right here.
  11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    They are very, very similar. Wenge has a low mid growl, barky mids, clear and tight bottom and a pretty nice top. Ovangkol has a lot of the same, but with "The Growl" centered in a higher freq of the low-mids than Wenge. Lows and highs are about the same. Ovangkol has a slight bit more tightness in the lows, where Wenge has more clarity in the lows. Because of this, Wenge is a bit more warm, with Ovangkol being a bit more bright.

Overall, there is not much of a difference between the two. They are both amazing tone woods. The biggest thing you will notice with the two is mostly in the low freqs. And the brightness difference. Other than that, we feel they are close to identical.
  12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

Great :) Thanks for the info :hyper:

Well, maybe this is something you can't really discuss, but if the Steve Bailey signature bass, would get a Wenge neck instead of the Ovangkol neck it has now, would you hear a difference clearly?
  13. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    In my opinion, no - you would not hear a discernable difference. Thanks!
  14. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Care to elaborate on the testing procedures?
  15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Do not feed.
  16. Joshua Alexander

Joshua Alexander

A bit off topic, but has anyone tried both the older thumb neck through model with wenge neck and wenge fretboard and the newer ones with ovangkol neck and ebony fretboard? I've only been able to try the older model and was curious as to how the change in neck and fretboard woods has altered the sound of the thumb.