Need a 210 to pair with Ampeg HLN 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by capncal, Feb 1, 2013.

1. capncal

capncal

Looking for a lightweight 210 cab for smaller gigs I don't want to bring my Ampeg SVT HLN 410 but would like the option to run both cabs together for really big gigs.

What is going to pair well with my Ampeg SVT 200t head for smallish gigs and also work well when running it with the 410?

I've also an Ashdown Mag 300 that I will use alternately with the Ampeg once it's repaired.

The Ampeg 210 HLF cabs are redonkulus expensive! So I'm most likely going to have to mix brands. I lucked into my 410 used at Guitar Center. And I could still only afford it because I had a trade in.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you want to run the two cabinets together the 2x10 MUST be twice the impedance of your 4x10. This way all the drivers get the same amount of power. If your 4x10 is 4Ω, look for an 8Ω 2x10. 8Ω 4x10 look for a 16Ω 2x10.
  3. capncal

capncal

hmmm...i thought i wanted all my cabs to be the same, either 4 ohm or 8 ohm.
  4. JHAz

JHAz

If they're the same, when you run them together, the 210 will run out of steam while the 410 still has headroom. If everything is equal, that limit pretty much means you can get exactly as loud with the 210 plus 410 as you could with the 410 all by itself. Of course all things are neve equal and the extent to which we push our cabs into non-linear bejhavior (compression) differs from show to show and person to person. But even so, the 410 won't ever get the amount of power the 410 can use. It'll get the amount of power the 210 can use, and each driver in the 410 will receive half the power that each driver in the 210 is getting.

If they mismatch in impedance, then theyll function more like a 610, with each driver getting the same power.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed, running 2 cabs as imbalanced as those, the impedance of the smaller cab should be double the bigger one, BUT, your amp would also need to be stable @ 2 ohms, and I doubt that Ampeg is. So, not a good idea. If you need more than a 410 will provide, another one is the best pairing. Also, what IS the impedance of your 410? Ifr it's 4 ohms, you can't add anything.
  6. capncal

capncal

the SVT 200t head is 200w @ 8 ohm, 350w @ 4 ohm. the cab is 4 ohm.

so does that mean i can't add even another 4 ohm cab?
  7. BassmanPaul

Correct, you cannot run another cabinet with your existing one.
  8. jlepre

jlepre

That would be a 2 ohm load, and that's bad for an amp that only goes to 4 ohms.
  9. jlepre

jlepre

So you would need to get an 8 ohm 210, and a new amp that would handle the 2.66 ohm load. Something that can handle a 2 ohm load would do the trick.
  10. capncal

capncal

eh, i've been needing a good excuse to try out the bi-amp feature anyway! anyone know about the bi-amp feature on the SVT 200t?
  11. BassmanPaul

Bi-amping two full range cabinets is pointless. You will also get no louder by doing so.
  12. jlepre

jlepre

13. capncal

capncal

but i could run a tube guitard amp, or a solid stat for that matter, at the same time as my full range bass cab couldn't i.....that sounds fun.
  14. capncal

capncal

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not louder but he could get a metric bagload of fidelity and dispersion and monitoring by putting a vertical 2x10 on top doing his 120hz and up. Phasing in the crossover is a gamble but worth a trial.