Need A and E string help - Trying to pair with gut G and D

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dcasali, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Dcasali

Dcasali

Love this site and this is my first post on Talkbass. I have a specific question regarding string selection. I've been spending lots of dough experimenting with different types of strings and have finally found what makes me the happiest....gut strings. (I primarily play bluegrass on an old 1940 Kay).

So I currently have the following strings on my bass:

G - GAMUT CONTRA BASS LYON G-1 Medium gauge (2.10mm)
    D - GAMUT CONTRA BASS PISTOY D-2 Medium gauge (2.90mm)
    A - Eurosonic Light (2.80 mm
    E - Eurosonic Light (3.60 mm)

As much as I like the Eurosonics I am looking to replace the A and E strings with a Gamut gut product. Experimenting at these prices can break the bank however, so I am asking some assistance from you experts out there.

Do you think the GAMUT CONTRA BASS A-3 GUT-COPPER would be a good choice. (This string alone is $125). http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?Iit=1841&Ict=4

And is it ok to have a lower A gauge string when compared to the D string. My Gamut D string is 2.90mm and the A string, if I chose the medium gauge, would be 2.66mm. Is this ok?

I would also do the same with E string and thinking of going with the medium. http://www.gamutstrings.com/catalog.html?Iit=1843&Ict=4

Thanks for your help on this....dave

I guess my main question is it ok to have a lower gauge A string when compared to the D string?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Yes if the feel doesn't bother you. This is common going from plain gut to wrapped. Talk with Dan Larsen about it.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass

The string gauges sound right to me.
    On my bass I have an unwound Pistoy gut D @2.86 and a wound gut A @2.5. I don't notice the size when I play, and the transition from one string to the next is very smooth regarding tension and sound.
    Is there a reason you are interested in the copper wrap rather than the silver plate? I have never played copper wound gut strings, but I've heard that they have a bit brighter sound, which may or may not be desirable depending upon your bass.

4. Dcasali

Dcasali

Eric and ctxbass:

Thanks for your replies. I now understand that a smaller gauge A string is not the problem that I thought it might be. CTXBASS: I picked the copper wound just on impulse, (love the look and I had good luck with some Velvet copper strings in the past). I will consider your comments on the silver verses copper wound and brightness of sound.

Again, I thank both of you for your comments on this. I have experimented PLENTY with strings sets, (all 4 for like....$150), but these Gamuts can cause some pain in the bank account.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tyb507

tyb507

They have had 20% off sales a few times lately, get on their mailing list or start obsessively watching the classifieds for used (or "broken in") strings to pop up.

7. lnichols

lnichols

I was wondering how Gamut G and D strings would pair up with Eurosonic A and E. What is it about this combination that's driving your thinking about a change?

8. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

I'm interested in this too. I had a look at the gamut strings, they look great but the string tension is around 16kg on the E string which on my bass is way to loose the vibrate it properly.

http://www.gamutmusic.com/contrabass-tensions/

9. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Has anyone teamed Gamut G-D,with Eva Weich,E-A? I was thinking of that combination to try next. I am currently using the Anima A-E with the Gamut tops.

10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

This is a great combination.