1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

need a bigger rig.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 3star2nr, Jul 12, 2013.

1. 3star2nr

3star2nr

So I'm gigning now and shopping for a new rig. I found a Eden 210 metro combo that I'm thinking of getting. Another option is an Eden 410t and a little mark 2 or some other amp.

What setup would you go with? Price wise they are about the same. I do have to go up and down steps quite a bit, but I'm getting a hand truck for everything else.

I currently have an acoustic b100 but its not loud enough.

Finally most venues have pretty good pa systems or will mic me uop
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

For the larger bar gigs with no PA support you'll want more than 2x10 for anything rowdy. A vertical stack of 2x10 keeps up with drums and vocal PA and has good dispersion. 4x10 has lousy dispersion. I don't know if there are matching 2x10 for the Eden.
  3. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

I have both a combo and a head/cab and I used to think I liked combos but the versatility of having a head/cab rig is very nice. Something to consider. The class d micro amps are also insanely light (GK MB500 is 3.75lbs, 500 watts.) and you if you want later on you could get a nice low wattage tube amp to use at home with the cab.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What is your budget?
  5. Jeb

Jeb

I've been doing this bass playing thing for awhile so I have some experience. I would say that if you had about 500 watts or so on top and a couple of 8ohm cabs (2x12s are great-one for a standalone and the other for vanity.)? You could do anything that comes up. There are so many choices now and most of them are good if you just pay attention.
  6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

LM II and the Eden 410t is what I would pick based on your post. However, what is your budget and where do you live? Have you checked craigslist.org? There could be many more deals to look into.

I highly suggest not getting another combo amp if your current combo is not cutting it. Getting a bigger/more cabs that are separate pieces is the way to go. The weight is well worth it - you will get the volume you need. Shove something under that 410 and tilt the cab towards your ears - you will be able to hear your cabinet better for monitoring purposes.
  7. Blairb

Blairb Supporting Member

GK MB-anything and a Gk Neo 212. Done.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I tried my best to like the Metro combo I had for only a few weeks. I had a dozen gigs during that time. I couldn't stand it. It just sounded "sterile" and "cold" to me. They make good quality gear for sure, but don't go thinking you are going to get that thing to sound warm at all. I threw everything I had at it from P basses to active complicated preamp circuits and couldn't get along with it. My band mates all but threw a party when I got rid of it because they were tired of my tweeking with it on stage.
  9. patrickm

patrickm Supporting Member

10. 3star2nr

3star2nr

So i took everyone's advice but decided to get the metro and I'm supper happy.
    my rational was that after researching the amp and cab options in my price range it was next to impossible to find a better deal than what I got on the metro.

Also the tone is precisely what I was looking for. The amp isn't as heavy as the reviews state, and having it on casters makes moving it around a breeze I'm really happy with it and io think if i want to be louder later I'll just add a 210 cab or a 212 cab.

I also giged with it and it felt good to turn on my amp on stage and actually hear over the guitar and drums before being plugged into the pa. The sound guy also really liked the xlr out.

I also raised my pickups which upped the volume and improved the tone overall.
  11. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

Check your specs. I believe the amp in your Metro will support a 2 ohm load. When you want more oomph, try adding a 4 ohm 210XST. The mix of XLT mid punch and XST lows is pretty nice.