Need a bit of advice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ACtrubeats, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

Ok weird request but here's what I got. I'm a young guy living in LA, going to college and looking to start gigging. When my taxes come in I'll have enough to buy either a car or an amp setup, but not both. The only people I've asked for advice told me it's better to get a car than get a rig, which makes sense since I can't drive an amp to a gig, but I'd need something to play out of. I know some places have amps already there but I'm still unsure of what to do. What do you guys think would be the best choice? All input and advice is appreciated and welcome, thanks!

2. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Hmm.. It really depends on how bad you need a car. You want to start gigging, but are you in a band or have the means to start gigging? Obviously most of us will tell you that a car is more important than a rig. How do you practice now? Can't you find a used car for cheap and still invest in an amp/cab? You can get a cheap used rig here on talkbass for gigging purposes. I can't answer your question.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    An amp isn't much good if you can't get it to the gig.

4. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

I'm not working with anyone right now but am working on putting my name out at school and locally to get a rep. I'm practicing out of a combo amp at home but I spend most of my time at school playing amps there. I thought about that, and I could hold off playing live for a while til I have enough money fot both. Is there a forum for classifieds? Sweet thanks, I'll check that out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sketch

sketch

Car & Sansamp.

7. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Having lived in L.A., I know that you need a car. Public transportation is NOT that good, for anything. And, you can't easily carry your amp around on public trans.

Get a car, see if you can find a good deal that will leave you a little money left over. But, don't buy a lemon. Spend what you can to get a GOOD running vehicle. At bad running vehicle will, in the end, cost you 10x as much.

Then, you can buy an amp. And you'll find lots of good deals on amps in L.A. :)

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

and get a decent pedal, such as the sansamp or tonehammer.
    I lived ampless with a band for a couple of years. All i had was a small practice combo. There was a bass amp i could use in rehearsal and on most stages as well, a couple of times i went straight into the DI and had the FOH guy make sure i'm loud enough on my monitor (which is surprisingly easy when you don't bring an amp).
    On two occasions i had to borrow an amp.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1

Not to mention the fact that with a car you also have the freedom and flexibility to go anywhere, anytime you want to.

10. Midfour

Midfour

Not so sure that's true in LA.

11. pfox14

pfox14

How's it possible to live in L.A. without a car?

12. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Live and work within walking distance of a Ralph's, Von's, Jons, Albertsons, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Jimbos, Sprouts or a homeless shelter.

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Music is either your life or your hobby. You choose. If it's a hobby, buy the car and sometime in the future do music. If its you life..... why are you asking?

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't think it's possible to live in LA without a car. NYC, sure, but not LA. It's also really hard to do a gig without an amp. I'm not sure you really have many options here.

EDIT: I suppose it's possible, you'd just have to mooch off of everyone.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

My son lived in LA for almost five years without a car while he was in college. He's out now and trying to find gigs as a trumpet player. He has a car now, even though a trumpet is a whole lot smaller than a bass guitar and amp. I suggest going for the car unless you are able to walk to school and find gigs around where you are in college. Then go for the amp, as long as you have friends who will help you move it.

16. ACtrubeats

ACtrubeats

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I actually ended up getting quite a bit more on my taxes than expected, so I have enough to get me an amp to do the job and almost enough to get a car so I'll just wait it out and get that vehicle soon. Thanks y'all!