1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need a bridge with side/side saddle adjust. HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassgod76, Feb 5, 2014.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I need a bridge that has adjustable saddles that can go side to side, so the string rides over the correct spot on the pickup.

Requirements:
    -Must be able to fit under a bridge cover
    -Must have Fender 5 hole mounting (The Deluxe MIA Fender 3 hole pattern doesn't have the same pattern.)
    -Would prefer something that looks similar to a Fender stock bridge

Please don't suggest a Badass. I'm not a fan and those do not fit under bridge covers.

Thanks!
    :help:

2. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Take a look at new Schaller. I had the 3D-4 one of the best bridges I ever had!

3. P Town

P Town Guest

Would threaded saddles work? Do you already have a Fender bridge? My newer Fender Am Dlx basses have threaded saddles that work great. Not sure if they fit other Fender bridges, or if you can even buy the saddles separately, but I would look into it if he was in your position.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Fender vintage type bridge with threaded saddles.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-fender-bass-bridge

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vintage-fender-bass-bridge

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod76

I've tried the Fender vintage threaded bridge, but it didn't work well.

This is the issue. I have a bass with a mudbucker in between the bridge and neck heel. The Mudbucker is designed to sit just behind the heel of the neck. Spaced closer to the bridge, the poles begin to get farther away from the string as string spacing widens.

The pickup I have installed, has much more presence, the closer the string is to the pole piece.

I haven't had an issue with the low E as much as I've had an issue with the G string.
    [​IMG]

7. bassgod76

This is after I added a MIA Fender Vintage bridge.

The string was practically rubbing across the bridge tension spring.
    [​IMG]

After experimenting, and it failing to stay in tune, I swapped the bridge with a MIM bridge, and tuning issues resolved.

But my G is still pretty weak. I think just a little shifting with a side/side bridge would help.

8. bassgod76

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Hipshot A Style.
    I think it should fit under a cover, but you can always check the dimensions online. Or, I can measure when I get home, I have both styles of bridge easily accessible.

It doesn't look Fender-y, but neither does the Schaller!