Need a flexable bass......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TIMERbassist, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TIMERbassist

TIMERbassist

I am looking at buying a new bass and think I have made a decision but I wanted some thoughts. I play on a worship team and gig with a rock band and a country band. So I need a bass that can adjust to the group I'm with. I am thinking a Stingray 5 HH.

What do you guys/gals think or suggest? :confused:

2. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

I just got that exact same bass, along with a new Fender dimension 4HH as well.... I played the 4 in a big band today to try it out (the dealer let me borrow it)... it creamed my "P" bass on the E-string.... (I use a Markbass amp)... Once I get use to the fiver I'll bring that onboard as well.... I never knew an e-string could sound so good !

3. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

Be careful, as flexible basses tend to go out of tune really fast.

:D

4. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

but just think of the benefit, if you have problems string bending you can just neck bend.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

7. sirsam22

sirsam22

G&L 1505 and 2500 models have lots of switches and knobs for series/parallel, active/passive, and coil splitting options. I hear that you can get them more sonicly unruly than MM basses. I've been wanting to get my hands on one to check them out.

Peavey also has come good stuff for not a lot of dough with 3to and 4 band eqs.

8. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Can't go wrong with the G&L.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

You need to define whether "flexible" means that it can produce a lot of different tones, or whether it means that it can fit into a lot of different bands/genres and still sound good.

If you want a lot of different tones, nothing will beat a G&L L-2500 with the single coil option.

If you want a bass that fits well in just about any kind of music, the Stingray is VERY good choice. However, if you are thinking of a Stingray 5, then I would suggest also looking at a Sterling 5 (also by Ernie Ball Music Man). And I would suggest considering a single H, instead of an HH.

The Sterling 5 H is exactly the same pickup and electornics as the Stingray 5 H had prior to 2008. The only difference between them now is that the Stingray has alnico magnet pickups and the Sterling has ceramic. The ceramic pickup is generally described as being a little more midrangey, which, in my opinion, helps it cut through a mix and be heard a little bit better when playing with a band.

In addition, the Sterling 5H has 3 switching modes: Series, Parallel, and Single Coil. Same as the pre-2008 Stingray 5H. The current Stingray 5H does not have the same 3 modes. It lacks Single Coil, I believe, in favor of a second Series mode, but with a filter.

The HH models have 5 switching modes, but none of the 5 modes includes Parallel mode. Parallel mode is the "classic" Stingray sound.

So, to me, the best tonal palette you can get in the Stingray/Sterling family is a 5 H - either a Sterling or a pre-08 Stingray - which gives you the true Stingray sound (via Parallel mode), a true Single Coil sound, and a killer, in-your-face aggressive Series mode. The HH models sacrifice the Parallel mode. The newer Stingray 5 H sacrifices the Single Coil mode.

It's true that the HH has 2 more modes, but if they don't sound as good as the mode you give up, then who really cares? Of course, in the end, that all comes down to personal taste, so the best thing is just to know what options are out there and then try out what you can to see what YOU like best.

Personally, I have a Sterling 5 H, an L-2500 (with single coil), a copule of P basses, a J, and more. And my Sterling would be my first choice MOST situation, including the kind of band you described.

11. TIMERbassist

TIMERbassist

I actually borrowed a G & L from a buddy this weekend to play a gig with the rock band. It had a good sound but didn't provide the depth of sound I thought I was looking for, but that could be from a lack of time playing with it before the gig and just not knowing the instrument. Another component to this puzzle would be amp and head, which I run a GK mb800 and a markbass 4x10.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

I very much agree with StuartV on most of this. I own 3 G&L L2500s as my main axes and they are VERY versatile. They have all the mods, single coil K-mod and the OMG mod on the switches.

But I've also got a Stngray clone because the stingray tone fits all kinds of music. With a single pickup it's sort of versatile but WAY less than the G&L. However the classic Stingray tone, is , well, classic! And I agree that you don't want to give up that tone. Which is why my 'Ray is under mod right now. In my case I am adding the neck pickup and modding the wiring to give it the "right" combos. StuartV is right that you don't want to lose the classic series mode, so unfortunately that means the wiring of an HH needs to be modded. To me going to an H just to get the series mode is the wrong solution.

That's my two cents but you have to decide what you can do and what you'll pay for. If you want the Stingray versatile from the factory the total option package just isn't there IMHO.