1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need a good rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kisscool, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Kisscool

Kisscool

Hello fellow bassplayers, I'm in real need of help there.

I'm in a band that plays mainly rock and stonerish songs.
    We are four, and I play in DI on a small carlsbro 15' 150W.
    I don't have an amp, I use directly the output of my sansamp gt-2 to the DI of my cab.

Thing is, it's really crappy cause I need to push the cab a lot and my sound is not defined enought. I can cut throught the mix with some meds but the sound is inconsistent from gigs to gigs, reharsal rooms, etc.

I need to get a good grawl into my sound, wich my rig is uncapable of (the two guitarists are EQ'd with a lack of lows to let me do the growl sounding of the mix).

Well, my budget is 1000E, as I'm a french bassplayer, and I look at the used marked every day, but everytime I'm looking trought reviews of the gears that are availlable I only find excellent reviews. Wait, what, are all gears excellents ? :meh:

The thing is I can't test the stuff I want, for exemple Gallien-Krueger or Eden, which are not popular in France

In my mind a GK RB700 and a good 2-12 cab would do the trick, but which 212 cab to choose from ?

Please excuse my english, regards. :p

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    When you say rock and stoner do you mean like Black Sabbath type stuff ? I would be looking at Ampeg and Orange

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Hard Rock and stoner music? Get at least a 410... You might end up not getting enough volume with the 212. The gk 700rbII sounds a bit modern for my taste but is a great amp.

4. Rudi3

Rudi3

I really recomend the TC-Electronic Bh500, it's cheep, about 450 euros, and is the most versile head I've ever used. And I really like the cabinets from the same series, really intresting configurations.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Your first step is to get a cabinet locked down. What is available to you used? I would be looking for a 215 or a pair of matched 115's at minimum. If that doesnt pan out, what other big cabs are available? If you are looking at buying new, then I recommend you check out Barefaced Bass. I would specifically look at the Super 15. Yes its going to eat up a lot of your budget, but literally any amp with that cab will get you heard. Failing that look at a Compact, with the idea of adding a second one down the line.

Now for amps, we go back to what is available to you used? Anything 300-500 watts in a solid state amp will do well through one of those barefaced cabs.

7. Kisscool

Kisscool

Well We don't play doom :p Our is music is somewhere between Muse and Fu Manchu with some QOTSA influences.

Ok so for the cabs there are plenty and that's the problem : 210, 410, a 212 eden for 700E with the shippement or GK410 and GK115. All are in my price range (if I choose to buy a GK700RB new

We play something like that (with calm parts and a clean voice)

8. CL400Peavey

I stick by my recommendation for cabs. It is far more important than the amp you choose.

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Whatever you buy, it should be something you can easily get serviced in your home region.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I agree with CLPeavey- look for a good 2x15, so you know that's covered. As for an amp, ANY good bass amp with enough power will suffice. Look for at least 300 up to 600 watts, and with a 215, you should do well.

11. Kisscool

Kisscool

Ok so now Im only looking for a good cab.
    No 2x15 for now
    I've come across an Eden 410EX, Ampeg410 HLF, epiphani 4x10, Ashdown410T DEEP, Eden D212XLT. But seeing as shippement would take up the price by 70-150E, I might as well buy a new one... Barefaced seems reaaaaaly good, with only 49 Lbs !

12. CL400Peavey

Yeah the Barefaced cabs will be really light, and IMHO will crush those cabs you listed.

13. aftec

aftec

Try to get a used 1001RB-II and a GK NEO 212-II. That thing just breaks stuff with volume and power. I really like this combo for rock/hard rock. Most probably you will not run this full tilt, unless you are in the demolition business, so it will have a good amount of headroom left. I can get it do the growl in low volumes and it doesn't need a pad on the input even with active basses unless you snap really hard.
    The cab is really light and the head is reasonable, it's heavy in comparison with the MB800. The Micros look cool and light, but I'm old school and like hefty transformers.

14. Kisscool

Kisscool

the gk neo is 600E new, i can have the Barefaced 1x15 for 666E.

Of course if the neo is availlable used i'll consider it thought.

I really like the gk amps, waiting for a 700Rb used right now, 1001RB seems a little overkill for my club/bar gigs and will be out budget I think.

15. CL400Peavey

There is a spec that is very important when looking at speakers, and that is sensitivity. Most manufacturers post some pretty inflated specs. Bareface is pretty spot on with theirs. The Super 15 has a 103 db/w/m rating. An ampeg 410he has a sensitivity rating of about 99 db/w/m. If you were pushing the 410 with 400 watts, the 215 would be just as loud with ~180 or so. The Barefaced cab is incredibly efficient.

16. aftec

aftec

I would take a 2x12 if constructed right, instead of a 1x15 equally well constructed any day any time. Simply the 226 inches of surface area versus 176 is a factor you should consider besides of db, that's around 28% more surface.
    I got my 1001RB-II for 450 from EvilBay and paid 550 for the cab. It's 450w (at 8 Ohms)to a 600w cab, I think it's a good match.
    The 700 will be 320w at 8 Ohms.
    If you consider purchasing a second cab, take 8 Ohm cabs only.

17. CL400Peavey

Surface area doesnt equate to much. Its about excursion, and broad band sensitivity. In the case of the Barefaced compact, it will outperform just about any 8 Ohm 212. In fact you would have to use almost twice the power with the 212 to reach the same volume as the 115.

18. aftec

aftec

Would love to do a comparison. Unfortunately no Barefaced cabs around :(
    The price for the compact is around 100Eur more with shipping.

19. CL400Peavey

*shrug* lots of gear is regional. As far as the price increase, yes its more expensive. Its also lighter, smaller, and louder.

Every cab purchase is a balance of trade offs.

20. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

I simply love the title of this thread.

21. Kisscool

Kisscool

Ok I'm following your advices CLPeavey, I just might take a super15 and a small amp. It should give me enought loudness with 200/300Watts and i'll upragde the amp later.
    Does a GK400RB-III do the trick ? I would love an in-built compressor and/or switchable disto thought

But speaking of inputs, I'm afraid of incompatibility, since i presume barefaced cabs use speakon cables and smaller amps use jacks. I am wrong ?