Need a lightweight, 4ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by aussietc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. aussietc

aussietc

Got myself a TC Electronic BH250 and need a lightweight 4 ohm cab to compliment it.
    Any suggestions/advice?
  2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

3. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

Hartke HyDrive 112

Lightweight, 4 ohms AND switchable to 8 ohms. (in case you decide to run 2 112's)
  4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

EA Wizzy 12 comes in 4 or 8 ohms.
    Great cab, by the way.

5. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Some good suggestions, but...

It depends what you want to hear from this head... There's not necessarily a "wrong" cab (if it meets the specs... I think it will run @ 8 Ohms as well)... But you might not get what you're looking for sonically.

I've run the bh250 through a Markbass 410 (not ideal for me, as I think the head & cab are both a little dark - it did sound good from across the room @ higher volumes & with the treble cranked). Through my Bergantino AE410 it sang nicely & the limited eq was a little more useful (but sounded great flat) - I would expect similar results with most Bergantino cabs, but I'm hoping someone chimes in with good experiences using something "smaller" - 2/10, 2/12... Etc...

I like things clean & full range (I like to add my own grit / character via Sansamp & other effects)....

Hoping to hear some more suggestions & results...

PS - I have a chance to pick up an Accugroove Tri 112L - any opinions?
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If your budget allows, I'd consider an AudioKinesis TC112, TC212, or TC115.
  7. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

It seems my quest for a "studio monitor" bass cab usually finds it's way to the Thunderchild...

They're expensive, but not outrageous & likely worth the extra bucks...

My problem is living north of the border - I'll take a big hit on the shipping & only Nostradamus can predict what the duty, taxes & "brokerage" fees will add up to...

I've got Berg, Schroeder, Epifani, EA & SHO (fEARful builder) within driving distance & a couple of things available used: Accugroove Tri 112L, Avatar 2x12 NEO & an Avatar 210 (possibly ceramic?)...

I feel like I might be missing out on the AK stuff!!!

Sorry aussietc - for the slight thread hijack - hopefully there's some info you can use here...
  8. Rocker59801

Rocker59801

9. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

+1
  10. dan1952

dan1952

Disclosures:
    Owner - Dan's Music, Inc.
    I had a plywood 1x15 ported cab lying around that was just wide enough to accommodate a speaker, so I put in an Eminence neodymium speaker. Total weight 25/26 lbs., of which the speaker is about 7 lbs., 300 watts RMS, 4 ohms. I like it a lot. You can find the speaker a couple of places online for $149...
  11. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

I'm selling a GK 212MBE if you're close to NJ. 600 watts, 36. lbs.
  12. aussietc

aussietc

Thanks for the feedback.
    The idea of a switchable cab, 4 - 8 ohms, sounds good.

At this stage I only really need a 4 ohm cab to get the most out of the head, and to have an overall very portable system.

Came across the Orange 2x10 Isobaric Bass Cabinet in my search. Looks interesting, but no tweeter. And 8 ohms.

I do like the Epifani gear, but my local dealer has closed down. (I'm located in Australia)
  13. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

schroeder 212
  14. Tuned

Tuned

Isobaric is stupid for bass cab purposes. It will not result in higher low end output because the physical excursion limit of each driver is unchanged. It doesn't matter how much power the voice coil can take before it melts, it matters how far the cone can travel before it smashes into the magnet assembly. If you have two drivers working together like that all it means is the cones are just going to smash into the magnet more easily.

For low end response they're supposed to work against each other to force air out the tuned vent - more air, less cone travel. That's why a 4x10 kicks a 1x15's ass, there's 4 times the motors pushing on a higher percentage of the front panel's overall area. If you unplugged one of the drivers it would want to act opposite the movement of the other three. They load each other up to move more air with less cone travel. Each driver becomes more efficient with the addition of other drivers.

Isobaric configurations don't benefit at all from that, they just encourage damaging over-excursion. It's sad that Orange is resorting to such a misleading and counter-productive gimmick.
  15. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

+1 definitely worth checking out the EA Wizzy112-4ohm cabs. Lightweight and power wise matches perfectly with the RH250. Supplier is in Sydney here www.bassgeardirect.com.au
    cheers
    Jim.
  16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I have a Tri 210L and it is a keeper, I will be hanging to this for awhile you bet. :D
  17. ThisBass

ThisBass

how much cone surface do you need?
  18. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The Accugroove Tri 112L is an amazing speaker. If the price is right and the box in good condition, grab it.
    Note this manufacturer is out of business so the price of these cabs is depressed compared with their intrinsic value and more importantly tone.
  19. SilkyStrings

SilkyStrings

'The idea of a switchable cab, 4 - 8 ohms, sounds good'.

If you mean the Tri 112, I recall there was outrage at Accugroove's claim the the cabs could be switched to 8 or 4 ohms. Accugroove later removed the 'switch' from the design. These later Tri-112 and Tri115 cabs I believe are all 8-ohm.

I have a Tri-115, it is not what I would describe as clean and clear, it is more thick and punchy, polite highs, tight lows, very detailed mids. It has a more old school sound to my ear and will tame a very clean modern head. Sounds nice with my Eden head but not so great with my Aguilar TH-500.

The Tri-112 sounds similar IMHO. If you visit www.basstasters.com they still have some samples up.
  20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

I like my 34 lb 4 ohm 212MBE that I got new for $340 shipped :) . Dunno if you can still get one - they've been discontinued and the new model (212MBE-II) is $499 I think.