Need a little help, getting a note specific buzzing on my Mesa Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phishaholik, Jan 2, 2014.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

I purchased a used but in new condition Scout cabinet off the classifieds here and I've recently noticed it distorting/buzzing right at A/A# when that note is played anywhere on the neck.

I've tightened all the screws on the cabinet and the driver was a bit loose. I also removed the grill and the buzzing persisted. It's also much more prominent when I put the cab on a hard surface. Could it be the radiator?

I could use some advice as this setup is the best sounding I've ever had, but those notes sound distorted and everything else sounds PERFECT.

Thanks!

Michael

2. JFOC

JFOC

Have you tried playing in different rooms to rule out acoustics?

What about if you apply some pressure to it while its shaking? Not alot, just enough to muffle or damp the noise.

3. phishaholik

Yes I did. When I have it on the hardwood floor, I can hear the buzzing, but it's not the same in a carpeted room. It's not nearly as noticeable. I did try having my son play my bass and try to find the buzz, but he's 11 and it wasn't consistent enough for me to find the source.

Thanks,

Michael

4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Just a thought but you might try pulling the driver out for an internal inspection. In some cases the connection wires have come into close contact with the cones and will only touch with certain notes that require a little more excursion of the driver. Also, the radiator on the bottom is a good place for anything that enters the port in the back to settle on. Kids toys, cat fur... who knows. I think it'd be worth the inspection.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phishaholik

Just wanted to give an update. It ended up being the batteries in my bass. They were starting to go dead and the distortion was only apparent on certain notes.

Michael

7. bobalu

bobalu

Glad to hear that you resolved it (and posted it!).

I have a WA Scout as well and it really is an amazing sound from such a small package.

I had a note specific buzz like you described. It drove me crazy. It turned out to be the window pane in the room (old double hung windows circa 1940) that vibrated only on that specific note. It sounded like it was coming from the amp which is just in front of and below the window. A Homer Simpson moment for sure............:oops: