Need a little help with Pedal Sequence.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ivan M, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ivan M

Ivan M Gold Supporting Member

Ok i am new to having a pedal board as i always just used 2 pedals, now that i have another pedal i decided to purchase a pedal board JR and set em up. Here is my dilemma, in this pic you can see that i have added the LOOPER pedal first and i connect this directly to my amps and then everything else is looped. I get lots of HUM this way, when i put the looper on the board all the way to the right side and use the FLASHBACK directly to the AMP the hum is MUCH MUCH less, almost gone, BUT not completely. Everything is running with the 1 spot system. I just recently read from here about the T-REX fuel tank JR. (This is why i LOVE this forum) Lots of good info. So my question is which is the best way from looking at the pic to run these pedals to eliminate hum? I have read that i should plug directly to the WHA WHA pedal and start looping from there, but i have a FILTER TWIN, would this be considered the same? My thoughts are that it would. I don't mind looking at and buying the T-REX System, but if i don't need to spend a hundred bucks right now the better. I don't plan on buying anymore pedals as i like the dry sound my basses deliver and use these pedals on rare occasions, Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If it were me, Octave first, Filter next, and delay last, with the looper after that. Use one pedal at a time to find which is noisey, and replace that pedal with something better. The One_Spot should be fine, just be sure all pedals are 9VDC center neg.

3. icecycle66

icecycle66

I concur withe Mr. Boogie.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

One Spot it Junk, works great when you have 2-3 pedals but after that it intorduces tons of HUM, i had this problem, i shelled out the dough for a Voodoo Labs Power SUpply and now things are quiet over the 7 pedal chain.

Theres no one way to get the best pedal order, it depends on your sound and how you use it, best thing to do is trail and error with the pedals till you find what works, chances are as your using it over time that order will change as you find issues.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ivan M

Thanks so much guys, i will take everything into account. I will put them in the order others have stated here. I actually tried that last night and agree that putting the Looper last or actually first as most say pedals are read right to left, left being the pedal that plugs into my amp brings the LEAST amount of noise. I will use it this way and if i get frustrated i will splurge for the T-rex or the Voodoo as one other has recommended. Again ALL your help and input is GREATLY appreciated. I am NEW to PEDALS.

7. Ivan M

Ok so here is my DILEMA, if i connect the looper first from right to left, whereby i plug my bass directly into the looper so forth and so on it gives me the LEAST amount of NOISE, but only one PROBLEM, the looper will record everything exactly, for instance if i use a drum beat from the looper before i even turn on my filter twin it records PREFECT, but once i turn on the FILTER TWIN well the drum beat or bass line recorded thru looper will play as if i recorded it with the filter twin on. It will do the same with any other pedal i turn on after i have recorded. If i connect everything with the Looper being connected left to right, with looper directly to AMP, the looper works PERFECT. Any recording will stay recorded exactly and once the filter twin is turned on the recording DOES NOT get affected, plugged in this way brings me the most HUM though. My question is if i buy the T-REX Fuel Tank JR will this HUM be eliminated? I don't want to buy it and then still have the hum. I WANT to use the looper the way it is meant to be used, so it will be staying in the order that works best for me. It cant really be used in the order that others have suggested here. In the order recommended here, the recording gets affected even after it has recorded. Thanks for any advice others can give.........FRUSTRATED!

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

That's why the looper should be last in the chain, anything before it will pass through. As to the hum, a dedicated power supply *may* help, but some pedals are just noisey. You may need to get rid of that one, and get a better looper. The Boss loopers are superb, btw.

9. alec

alec

Try using batteries. If you still get hum, it's not caused by the 1Spot.
    BTW, if the looper sharing the 1Spot is causing the hum, you could just get a second 1Spot

10. Ivan M

This right here sort of answers it all. Thanks. What i decided to do was run the LOOPER separately and thru the FX channel, and then run the other pedals together thru the regular channel, this worked PERFECTLY. I tried it both thru the TONE HAMMER 500, and thru the TC RH450 i own and this appears to be the best of both worlds for me. I may order that T-REX junior down the line....but for now this appears to work. Again thank you all for your help and responses. If i am doing it wrong the way i just posted about please chime in as well.

11. alec

alec

Looking at the specs of the JamMan, it says it draws <200mA of power. The TRex Jr only supplies 120mA per line, so it might not be enough, depending on what the JamMan actually uses.

12. Ivan M

Alec, thank you and you are correct i just read the specs on it last night. I saw a video on that JR where i think they supply a 2 into 1 cable i believe to use 2 outlets for something that will draw more than the 120 MA. I could be wrong though....Again thanks so much.

13. Ivan M

Here is how i have it running now.
    With the Jamman running thru the FX channel by itself.

[​IMG]

14. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

I run 11 pedals off a one spot. Dead quiet. Some times digital pedals don't behave well on a one spot. Tuners and delays. Run a power conditioner?

But. It looks good. If you're getting high end tone loss consider getting a buffer. Put it between the first two pedals.

15. Ivan M

Ok thanks so much, i am back to the drawing board as my main HUM is ONLY coming from the damn Jamm man, which like you said is a DIGITAL pedal, running the 4 other pedals i have ZERO ISSUES! Is a power conditioner like a FILTER of some sort? My buddy just mentioned using some type of filter going from the LOOPER to AMP. i am hoping that i can buy a filter or conditioner to make this problem go away. Thanks in advance, if you have any links to a CONDITIONER/FILTER please link me. The T-REX will NOT solve my problem, just saw a few videos on them. Again thanks sooooooo Much.

16. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Like a furman. It protects and eliminates rf interference and other "dirty" power elements. Just give that jam man its own power source. A one spot MAY work if nothing else it plugged into it. But you can always get it its own "wall wart". Or batteries.

17. Ivan M

I am the HAPPIEST man on earth. PROBLEM solved. I decided to plug the Jamman with its own power supply, the one that came with it, and just use the 1 spot for the 4 other pedals. My upstairs neighbor who is a high end stereo installer told me to get a POWER STRIP and plug the jamman to the power strip and NOT directly to the wall, well he was right. Everything is quiet as a mouse. Thank you to many on here for ALL your help. I was glad i did not order another 1 spot as it was not NECESSARY. Powering the Jamman alone solved my issues. Happy, Happy, Happy! Again thanks to the TALKBASS community and especially the EFFECTS guru's.

18. ransombass

ransombass

Ok, since Ivan M had his problem solved here I would like to ask some pedal sequence questions.

I currently run my pedals in the following order:
    Bass - Boss TU-3 - SansAmp bddi - Boss ODB-3 - Boss OC-2 - TC Chorus/Flanger - Amp.

My questions are these: Is this the best sequence? Does it matter? Should I octave a chorused signal? Should I chorus an octaved signal? Where should the distortion be? Again, does it matter? Am I obsessing over nothing?

Thanks in advance.

19. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Yeah it matters. There's no rules but there are some things that tend to sound better to some people before other things and some things that sound better after other things. THINGS. Anyway I would go like this bass>tuner>octave>ODB-3>Chorus>Sansamp>amp. I might try the sansamp before or after the ODB3. It depends on how you use it/like it. Or I might try the tuner last or right before the sansamp if I was using it as a preamp/DI. Anyway try them out a bunch of different ways and decide which way sounds good to you.

20. ransombass

ransombass

Thanks CHILDISHGAMBINO! I will try your sequences and see what happens.