Need a louder amp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Backspacez, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Backspacez

Backspacez

So a couple times a week my band (we're all 16 so we don't have much gear) plays at my friends house. He's the drummer, so it's most convenient to play at his place so he doesn't have to lug around a kit or use one of our kits.

We play in a small bedroom. I've been using his bass amp, as it's easier and we both have the same wattage amp anyways. Our guitarist has one of those Line6 multi-fx amps that everyone has and he has a Tama Imperial Star so in order to keep at a reasonable volume in the mix, I have to put the amp on full blast. It's one of those 15 watt Fender Rumble amps. After a few practices the amp was basically blown... expected. So I need to start investing in my own amp .

I'm going to be playing with a guitarist and a drummer so it needs to be reasonably loud. We also are planning on booking a few small gigs in the future and I'll need something that can be heard for that too.

Any suggestions on what to get? I have no idea how much I'll have to spend for this as I've only had two 15-20 watt bass amps in my life. So I'd like to keep it under 200$ if possible.

Thanks for your help!

2. Flatbass

Flatbass

Second hand Peavey and Trace Elliot stuff. It's loud, cuts through anything and is reliable.

3. andrklet

andrklet Guest

U need to go second hand. Get an amp that pushes about 200 watts into a 8ohm cab and about 400 watts into a 4ohm cab. Get the 8ohm cab first, then, when u can afford it, get a second, equal cab. Giving u 2 cabs with a 4 ohm load, maximizing the output of your amp, and maximizing volume per dollar!

4. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Used Peavey or Acoustic gear. You could get a B200H and a B115 cab for $200 used and could always get another cab later for even more volume. Great solid stuff, only downfall is cheap tolex but minty looks aren't anything really when you're starting out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Backspacez

Backspacez

Well, Peavey makes a lot of amps... I'm not really sure how many watts I should have or need... any tips?

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

There is no upper bound.
    You always turn up just enough; how much more is available after that is not important.

Rule of thumb - 10X what the guitar is using.
    But you will get more sound from more speaker faster and cheaper than more power. However - more speaker is bigger and heavier.

Now - go read the stickies at the top of the Amps forum and absorb...

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Guitar center has a bunch of used peavey 210's for $99. Pair that with a used 2-300 watt head and you'll be good for awhile.

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Keep your eyes peeled on your local CL. You're looking for a 15" Peavey combo.

Wattage doesn't really matter for your bedroom jam but a 15" one will have the goods. I think they are all 150 or 200w. You can do gigs with them if your guitard keeps a lid on volume. More than likely you will set off a nuclear volume war with him upgrading to some stupid loud halfstack.

What you need most is earplugs. Any time you experience ringing in your ears it's signalling that irreversible damage has occurred.

10. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

What part of the world do you live in? If you could give us that info, we can give you some suggestions (craigslist).

Figure at least 150-200 watts into a single 15 or a 210.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

if i recall correctly there was a great vintage acoustic head on here recently for around 250, that would be a very nice head to get you started

12. paulears

paulears

The most easterly town in the UK - Lowestoft
    If you like your amp, why not just get a monitor, and stick it close to get more level where you want it. When I play with my bigger system, I find the clarity goes down in exchange for more oomph! Since I've been using in-ears, I think I must be the only bass player who people tell to turn up - I hear my amp loud and clear in my ears, and it's the others who don't!

13. BassCajon

BassCajon

As you might know, the bassist eats more wattage than a guitarist in order to cut through the mix with a drummer. Especially if you want to feel the bass.
    I would get minimum 200w just so you still have space from your tone ceiling if you did want to turn up.
    For that money and considering whats out there now, i'd say you should try an Acoustic B200H and find a reasonable cabinet that sounds good with it.

14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm going to echo the sentiment of used gear, Peavey and Trace Elliot are excellent options (I'd also throw Hartke and Laney into the mix)!

My first "big" rig was a Peavey Firebass 700 with 4x10 cab. Plenty loud and really cheap. I also managed to score a Peavey 2x15 for peanuts down the line, which was nice :)