Need a new amp HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 12, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    After reading and re-reading most of what I could find on 2.6Ohm amps, I am more confused than ever.
    I am at a point where I have to buy a new amp. Like yesterday. I am in a jam band (14 years), I play Modulus, my speaker system is Schroeder Mini12, Schroeder 1212 and a SWR Bass monitor. All 8ohm cab's, so I am really going to need an amp that does 2Ohms. My previous amp was an SWR Bass 750=850w at 2Ohms.
    I am in need of something (anything) that will keep up with 3 guitars and 2 drummers! This amp will work about 100 dates a year (Has to be reliable) rack mount would be best, but if I have to buy a seperate case, that is no problem.
    I really need help. I haven't shopped for a new amp in 12 years. I just have no idea. There are no stores where I can try anything out, so I am going to have to buy sight unseen.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin makes all kinds of amps that run at 2 ohms and they are powerful AND affordable. BX500, BX700, B1000, and B2000.

For your needs, I would consider the BX1500 amp which has TWO 450w amps (at 4 ohms) so you can run the 1212 (300w at 8 ohms) with one amp and the mini+monitor with the other amp (225w x 2).

With two volume controls you have complete control, especially in bi-amp mode where you can direct more lows to the bigger cab and more mids/highs to the others.

If you want more power, they just added the BX1600.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

FYI, every Schroeder 1212 I looked at was 4 ohms, but that would matter the the Carvins.
  4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

If you are use to SWR, Eden amps might be the way to go.
    Eden guys should be able to guide you which one is 2 ohm capable.

Reliable, you might want to look at GK 2001RB.
    It's Rackmountable.
    It's 2 ohm capable
    It's got growl and it's loud for what it's rated at!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Do u have any pics of this monstrosity? I would love to see your set up if u do!
  7. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

Have u considered a simple 1 cab or 2 cab solution? If you have been on the sidelines for 14 years you might be shocked at the output u can get from one 4ohm 2x12 cab, or a 4x10 these days...

This would greatly enhance your amplification options.
  8. iriegnome

Media:
    I have to have a new amp, so yes, I have considered a 6x10/blah blah blah option, but amp first speaker set up next if I cannot find something that works at 2ohms, then I find something that will go at 4ohms and buy a different main speaker instead of 2x8Ohm main speakers and still use my 8Ohm monitor for my drummer.
    Jeff7bass - I seem to be one of a very few that actually have a 8Ohm 1212. A early model of Schroeder before the L/R versions. Bought mine new in 2005.
    Carvin's are an ok option, but nothing that I have heard from them, I liked. I have not seen anything about the GK2001, but I will look at them.
    I was also looking at the Genz Benz 9.0 as well, but after youtube videos, I do not like them at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. iriegnome

Media:
    Ampeg SVT-CL was one option. The Ampeg SVT-4Pro or the 7Pro are as well.
    Also looked at the Mesa 9 (did not like), looked at the WT-800, but with them being built by Washburn, I really don't like that option. Looked into the Thunder Funk, but, wow.. pricey, bit not out of the question.
  10. iriegnome

Media:
    My 1212 is rated at 1000w and the Mini 12 is 500w and so is my SWR Bass Monitor (I changed the speaker to match what my Schroeders have in them).
  11. iriegnome

Media:
    So I have been looking into changing my speaker set up as well. The Schroeders are perfect for me, but I need my Mini 12 and 1212 in 1 cabinet. 8Ohm. Then I can still use bass monitor and run at 4Ohms (more standard for new amps). That way, most amps would then work... I can't find a 6x10 option that is compact enough or light enough. Overall size is a big factor since we rarely have much room on many of the stages we play.
  12. iriegnome

Media:
    How about Micro Amps??