Need a new bass bag

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by jmceachern36, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Ok it's time for a new bass gig bag. I'm currently using the one that came with my shen150 but the padding is thin, there isn't much storage and the handles are in the wrong spot because when I lay it down it wants to fall over. I'm thinking the bobelock, the Mooradian standard, or maybe the Tuff Bag but I wanted to keep it in the $200's so the Tuff bag may be out. I'd buy the deluxe mooradian but I need some other things as well. Anyone out there have any issue with these bags? I think the mooradian has slightly less padding. I used to own one and it was fine. I actually like or got used to the zipper being on the opposite side. I noticed the Bobelock handles are in a different spot. Anyone have any problems (tipping over)with that? Is it really just a coin toss? Thanks for any info.
  2. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Mooradian bags are the only way to go, in my opinion. The handles are all in the right place, the zippers are much better and they seem to last forever. If your bass fits in a standard size, that bag will last through bass after bass as you trade up.

Sometimes you can find them used.
  3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I'll second Jeremy's opinion.
  4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I'm a Mooradian man myself, but I could put you onto a deal on a Bobelock that someone in Buffalo is selling for well under $200 and willing to ship. No affiliation, YMMV, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. neal davis

neal davis

I ordered a 3/4 size bobelock from Quinn violins today $196 with shipping. I've used bobelock, mooradian, reunion blues over the years and I like the bobelock the best.

I'm replacing my last bobelock that I got 18 years ago. The case is still together but it is time.
  7. jmceachern36

I saw the Bobelock bags at Quinn and bought one too. The bag and a bass buggie for the price of a mooradian. Figured I'd give it a shot.
  8. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin Supporting Member

Just a comment on the handles being in the right place on mooradians. I took for granted how I could lift or lower a bass by the side handle and the bass would balance. I tried it with the Upton bag (not sure who makes it ). and the body fell to the floor. Sold that bag and kept the mooradian
  9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I love my mono m80.
  10. dderatz

dderatz Supporting Member

The Upton Bags are pretty good too.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

+1 on Mooradian. They even restitched a Std bag for me at no charge.
  12. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Media:
    I love my tough bag. Best bang for the price, for sure.
  13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Another vote for MONO. I have an M80 and a Vertigo. Love 'em both.
  14. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Media:
    I hadn't read this earlier, but I do have some issues with the bass rolling over with the Tough Bag. Not a huge issue with me, but might bother some. Still, thick, stiff padding on the bag, and $100 less than Mooradian.

Alex

http://smithdoublebass.weebly.com
  15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  16. jmceachern36

I got the Bobelock bag and used it a bunch of times this week. No complaints. Lots of padding. My bass fits in it well. A little tighter fit than I'm used to but I think it's ok. The handles work well for me. It also came in the perfect size box that my 3 year old daughter is now using for a boat. Got the bass buggie too. I highly recommend it.
  17. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Media:
    Glad to hear you found something that works! I have a Bobelock bag for my second bass and it's done well, though the padding isn't as stiff as it used to be. Enjoy!

I'll have to look at the buggy. I'm worried my wheel will wreak havoc on my old bass' endpin block.
  18. jmceachern36

If your ever near Boston your welcome to check out the bass buggie. The thing that's nice about it is the bass will stand up on its own. I wouldn't walk away from it while standing but you can grab your keys or open a door without having to put the bass down. I also don't have to take it off to put in my tiny car.