need a new bass dingwall combustion or carvin sb5k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boamedt, Aug 8, 2013.

which bass is better sight unseen/ never played before

1. Dingwall Combustion

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Carvin SB5000

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. boamedt

boamedt

so im gona get a new bass and I have been looking at two. the Dingwall Combustion or a carvin sb5000 in the new aquaburst. obviously cant play a custom carvin but the sb5k's have been getting rave reviews. however, the dingwall is a sweet bass too and most people that buy one end up getting another dingwall, so that says a lot. I play mainly reggae and funk. which one do u think would be the better buy sight unseen/don't get to play it first?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

My vote goes to Carvin. Nothing against Dingwall, I'm just a huge SB500 fan

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

In all fairness, I have a played a Combustion. It is a good bass, but I did not think it was better than the Yamaha TRB5 II I had at the time.

The Carvin has a rep as a killer Jazz.

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Carvin, for sure. But, if you're talkin' about any basses higher in Dingwall's lineup, I'd have to go with something from Dingwall. But, if that was the case, you could get 2 SB's for the price of one Afterburner. The Carvin is no pushover, no matter the price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boamedt

boamedt

Hmmm lots of love for the carvin. The only problem I have with he carvin is I would have to go all out and by the time it's all said and done it might be $2k for the carvin. I like expensive wood:-D I might be able to find a nicer used dingwall

7. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Making 2 assumptions:

You're used to playing parallel frets as opposed to fanned frets.

You're used to 34" scale or 35" scale. (I believe the Dingwall Combustion B-string is 37" scale)

Buying a bass (or any musical instrument) sight unseen / unplayed is a leap of faith. Sometimes your "faith" is spot on and other timesÂ…wellÂ…not so much.

Going with a Dingwall means you really want to try something a little different. Not a lot different! Just a little.

Although I have never played a Carver instrument (and I'm sure they are very good!), I took a leap of faith and bought a used Dingwall ABZ5. And I never played a fanned fret system. The "leap" has put smiles on my face.

In your case, it seems either decision would be good. Now you just have to choose the "gooder" one. :D

if only you had more scratch to buy both!