1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Need a new brand of strings for a new Fender setup...please help.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hopturn, Apr 10, 2014.

1. hopturn

hopturn

Sep 19, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I have a Fender American Jazz Bass (Passive Four String) and a new Fender Super Bassman 300 with the 4X10 Neo Cab. I've been using DR Black Beauties for years now on my Musicman basses, but I just don't like their sound for this rig.

I'm entering the studio next week and was wondering if there was a better string option available. I'm looking for a passive, old-school funk and afrobeat sound. The DR's are just sounding too boring on this bass set up...not enough punch and gut smacking funk.

Any suggestions are welcome since I typically stay with the same strings for years.

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    DR Low Riders, they love to funk...

3. Somewhat of the same mind as you. I tried and liked DR Neons, but decided that the tone I was really after required a hex core for more moving (vibrating) mass.

I've tried DR Lo-Riders NPS on a 5-string and they were pretty good. I have D'Addario EXL-170BT's on my Fender American Standard Jazz (4-string) right now and I like them. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/review-daddario-exl170bt-1039586/

I'm excited because I just got in a set of GHS Big Core, and will put them on this weekend. These look to be very promising. After I play them in, I'll write an initial review along with ongoing observations and comments.

If you're going to record next week you really need to get a new set of something on and played in this weekend.