Need a new brand of strings for a new Fender setup...please help.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hopturn, Apr 10, 2014.

1. hopturn

hopturn

I have a Fender American Jazz Bass (Passive Four String) and a new Fender Super Bassman 300 with the 4X10 Neo Cab. I've been using DR Black Beauties for years now on my Musicman basses, but I just don't like their sound for this rig.

I'm entering the studio next week and was wondering if there was a better string option available. I'm looking for a passive, old-school funk and afrobeat sound. The DR's are just sounding too boring on this bass set up...not enough punch and gut smacking funk.

Any suggestions are welcome since I typically stay with the same strings for years.

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

DR Low Riders, they love to funk...

3. Linnin

Linnin

Somewhat of the same mind as you. I tried and liked DR Neons, but decided that the tone I was really after required a hex core for more moving (vibrating) mass.

I've tried DR Lo-Riders NPS on a 5-string and they were pretty good. I have D'Addario EXL-170BT's on my Fender American Standard Jazz (4-string) right now and I like them. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/review-daddario-exl170bt-1039586/

I'm excited because I just got in a set of GHS Big Core, and will put them on this weekend. These look to be very promising. After I play them in, I'll write an initial review along with ongoing observations and comments.

If you're going to record next week you really need to get a new set of something on and played in this weekend.