Need a new extended range! Rockbass or Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Aug 1, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey guys, I'd like a new 5 or 6 string bass and I love both the Ibanez and Warwick Rockbass lines. All I require are 2 pickups, preferably active, and 24 frets. Thanks. 6 strings preferred.

2. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Any idea on budget?

3. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Well i'v compiled a short list.

Having owned both I must say I personally prefer the sound/feel/build of my Warwick (And I had my Ibanez for 4 years before the Warwick and loved it)

The one plus side is that the Ibanez has very nice active electronics!
    My Warwick is passive, still sounds amazing tho, and I get the EQ from my Ashdown so no biggy either way.

ALL the Warwicks benefit from the Just-A-Nut III adjustable nut, 2-piece 3D bridge, and standard strap-locks.

So to the Basses. Warwick currently only make 1 6-string RB;
    http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick--I...asic-act.-long-scale--6-string--Pictures.html
    Which is lovely, active. Full scale. Does not seem to be a huge choice of colours for some reason...

The higest model Rockbass (5-string);
    http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick--I...te--Corvette-Premium--5-string--Pictures.html
    Again, beautiful with the Flamed Maple Top. Active, full scale.

The model I have/most prefer
    http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick--I...orvette--Corvette-$$--5-string--Pictures.html
    Also, beautiful! Double Humbuckers, PASSIVE however. Full scale. Nice colours available.

AND THEN (sorry theres only 1 Ibanez)..
    This was the model I was looking at (4-string version) as well as my Warwick (But ultimately went for the Warwick)
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb...9&color=CL01&year=2013&cat_id=2&series_id=112
    Another beautiful looking Bass. Active, Full scale.

I still play my Ibanez and will keep it forever (Im a hoarder) but prefer the Warwick any day.

*Side note: My Warwick did cost more than double what my Ibanez cost so may be a factor in my opinion! But probably not

4. J03YW

J03YW

My budget's like really low. Think $4-5 hundred.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You can get some nice Ibanez 5ers for under $500

7. Pattycakes

Pattycakes

obviously check out both if you can but i think the ibanez basses in that price range are nicer. warwick makes some cool stuff but the rockbass models never did much for me.

8. remainthesame

remainthesame

If money is no object, i must recommend some sort of ibanez btb. they even made a 7 string recently which can be had for about $1200

nevermind. i just saw that you said you have a price range much lower than what i said. however im sure you can find a used btb for less than 500

9. ddhm

ddhm

I don't like the Warwick neck profile... that might influence your decision.

10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

For a range of $400-500, you will be looking at used items. Hopefully, you can try an instrument before you buy one.

For Ibanez, you could try the SR506 or maybe a BTB model. I'm not too familiar with Rockbasses, but their quality has become much better than a few years ago.

I own a Warwick Thumb BO 6 and an Ibanez SR885. My Ibanez is 20 years old and still sounds great. If you're concerned about the instrument's weight, Ibanez's are relatively light, especially compared to a Warwick. You will get a nice growling tone from the Warwick. Once you hear the Warwick growl, you'll be able to identify it in any song.

11. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx Previously Thedeadking Supporting Member

You can get used Ibanez 506 for around 350-400 all the time and IMO can get close to a warwickish tone.

12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Older Ibanez SR506/ SR505- maple, w/active split pups and 3-way eq is very versatile.
    Don't know how it compares to the mahogany SR506 w/barts, tho.

14. J03YW

J03YW

I *prefer* buying new, but these are some options. I think I'm gonna look for a new sr256/used sr506

15. satellite4

satellite4

I would recommend the SR705...very versatile tone-wise, and great wood choices for body, neck and FB.

I've seen used and factory 2nds in the $500-$600 range, sometimes lower.

16. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

There are tons of great deals on Ibanez 5 and 6 string basses on eBay. Checkout Barry Clark Music. He sells lots of used and new Blems at really great prices. I just picked up a new SRX695 with the tiniest ding on the back of the headstock for $200 delivered. As the poster above points out about the SR705, it's a stunning bass and used its almost impossible to beat for the buck.

Secret bass to look for? Lightwave Hybrid in a 5 string. Used. You're welcome.

17. thumpguy123

thumpguy123

i love my ibanez sr505! it's my best sounding bass and it really kicks ass for those longer gigs. your shoulder will thankyou! you can pick them up for cheap, i picked one up for 100 dollars with gig bag, cables and tuner

18. Draculea

Draculea

Any Ibanez SR, 305 and up, is a good choice IMO, but try to aim for the 505 and up, the higher the better.

19. J03YW

J03YW

Yeah, I know why. I hear the barts are great in the 500+'s.