1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Need a piece of Mahogany

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Junk420, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Junk420

Junk420

Hey there everyone,

I am working up the courage and experience to build my own bass down the road.

I decided to start off by tearing apart and re-building an old Epiphone Les Paul Special II that my friend gave to me. I will have some questions a little down the road, (if its worth repairing a slightly damaged neck and most likely some help with wiring) but here are my plans.

I want to delete the neck pick-up and replace the bridge with an EMG ALX HZ pick-up and switch. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/emg-alx-alexi-laiho-hz-humbucker-abq-set

I need to get my hands on a piece of mahogany so I can shape it to fill in where the neck pick up used to sit. Anywhere else out here where I have found some aren't quite dry enough and not really suitable for what I want to do.

If anyone is/was building a bass out of mahogany and wants to ship a chunk to the great white north, it would be greatly appreciated. I would safely say a piece 6 inches wide by 10 inches to a foot long at least. I know I'll be doing it twice, as I normally screw up and then learn from my mistakes.

Message me and I can pay for the shipment via Paypal.

Thank you!

Shawn
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

3. Junk420

Junk420

I had no idea this website existed, thanks a lot!
  4. Junk420

Junk420

Scratch that. They wont ship that type of wood to Canada.

Anyone else have any ideas?
  5. davens

davens

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    not knowing where in Canadia you are, I suggest looking on Google Maps, woodfinder, or in the yellowpages for "hardwoods". Mahogany is not a terribly hard wood to find as hardwoods go, and many places will sell offcuts for next to nothing. You might even find a place that sells mahogany decking and see if they have anything.
  8. Junk420

Junk420

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check them out tonight.

I didn't realize my location wasn't there. I just moved to Cornwall, Ontario. I moved from a small town North of Toronto and I'll be back in the area this weekend. Burlington isn't far from where I'll be, I'll try and stop by this weekend.
  9. mikebpeters

mikebpeters

You aren't far for Ottawa where I know of a great little wood shop - KJP Select Hardwoods
  10. Junk420

Junk420

Sweet, I go there all the time for work. I'll check it out

Thanks!
  11. Nidan

Nidan