Need a powered floor monitor and have a question or two

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jakelly, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Thanks for your input.

What is the minimum watts I would need with a five piece rock band, playing pubs and sometimes outdoor shows?

Also, would a 12 inch speaker be OK or would a 15 be better?
  2. ggunn

ggunn

12 inch speakers are much better than 15's for vocal monitors, IMO.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Really depends on you stage volume and what you're putting in the monitors. If there is kick, snare, guitar, keys, you need something pretty strong. Voices and maybe acoustic guitar only, not so much.

In my system I have three Mackie Thump 12 powered speaks as monitors. They work but I'm putting acoustic guitar and voices in the monitor mix. Not bass or drums ... Note, I bought these as B stock from AMS at $219 each - these aren't bottom of the barrel, but they aren't high end either. As monitors for low to moderate stage vol they work fine. I have no doubt that I'll upgrade some day...

A Maxkie SM 450 is a much more stout unit. Bass & drums, no problem until you are really darned loud. Note that run flat out, 450's can overheat and shut down when run on their sides. That has never happened to me and honestly flat out a 450 as a floor monitor would be way louder than anything I would want to be near...

Used JBL EON would be fine as well tough the Form factor is awkward. They do sound nice.

Troll Craigslist. In the Portland, Or market, monitors are on the list weekly it seems...
  4. gotmule?

gotmule?

I use Alto SXM112As for my sound gig and for my band and they are plenty loud for monitors. As 4mal mentioned, as long as you don't plan on going crazy with them, they will get the job done. As long as you're not running any bass or kick drum through them, you should be just fine. They sound fantastic and for $300, are definitely a steal!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jakelly

jakelly

Thanks for the replies.

I know where there is a used Peavey 112PM for $100.

It's rated 75 watts and 96 dB SPL.

Would this do the job or keep looking? No bass or kick drum through it and it would be OK?
  7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'm testing the new alto 10s... so far so good
  8. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

+1 i brought a alto ts112a and it works great for my band!!! i use three vocalist and horns thru it
  9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I had one with a sticky fan- still worked for an indoor gig ... Good enough until I find some of the original eon 10....
  10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I was idioms kustom pw50 ---- all mid and hi .... Worked great

Just gear lust and consolidation
  11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I forget ---- how heavy are they?
  12. jakelly

jakelly

About 39 lbs. He's letting me take the Peavey 112PM to a gig tomorrow night. If it works OK for me I'll pay him the $100 for it. If not, I just return it. Can't beat that deal I suppose. Nice looking monitor, not beat up. Hope it works out.
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

For 100 - sounds like a solid deal